Union reaches deal with Air Canada on layoffs

Union reaches deal with Air Canada on layoffs

OTTAWA (Reuters) =97 The union representing some 10,000 airport and=20
reservations employees at struggling Air Canada said Monday it had reached=
=20
an interim deal with the airline to lay off 1,060 staff. Buzz Hargrove,=20
head of the Canadian Auto Workers union, told a news conference that the=20
layoffs =97 to last for 45 weeks =97 would save the airline C$35 million=
 ($24=20
million) to C$40 million. The union had already agreed to forgo a 2-1/2%=20
pay increase, which was supposed to have gone into effect on Tuesday, for a=
=20
savings of C$6.5 million. "We see absolutely no alternative," said=20
Hargrove, speaking after having met federal Transport Minister David=20
Collenette to tell him of the need to make sure Air Canada does not go into=
=20
bankruptcy. Hargrove said the airline was asking for C$65 million in=20
savings from the union, out of a total of C$650 million in requested annual=
=20
labor cost savings, and he would return to the table with the airline to=20
work on the rest of the savings. "We wouldn't be entering into the=20
agreement that we did and we wouldn't be looking to get back to the table=20
unless we saw a train coming down that tunnel at full speed and we're in=20
the way," he said. "We think we can find the C$65 million annually without=
=20
unduly harming our membership. We've got a lot of ideas, we just need more=
=20
time to spend at the bargaining table," he said. This did not necessarily=20
mean more layoffs, he added. Technically, the union had an agreement that=20
prevented any layoffs until March 2004, but this new interim agreement will=
=20
override that deal for the 1,060 positions. After 45 weeks, they are=20
supposed to return to employment. The 1,060 layoffs come out of the union's=
=20
7,000 workers at the mainline carrier, he said. Some 3,000 at the company's=
=20
regional carriers are not affected. In his talks with Collenette, Hargrove=
=20
stressed the importance of a full-sized national flagship carrier. He=20
suggested Canada could take an equity stake in the carrier, something=20
strenuously opposed by Air Canada's competition and by the main opposition=
=20
party in Parliament.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/