US Airways Completes Restructuring; Secures $1.24 Billion in New Financing

ARLINGTON, Va., March 31 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- US Airways Group, Inc.
and seven subsidiaries today completed all required transactions and satisfied
all remaining conditions to its reorganization plan, allowing the company to
meet its March 31 target for fast-track emergence from Chapter 11 bankruptcy
protection.

US Airways also closed on exit facilities that provide the company with
$1.24 billion in liquidity, including a $240 million equity investment from
the Retirement Systems of Alabama Holdings LLC (RSA), and a $1 billion loan --
$900 million of which is guaranteed by the Air Transportation Stabilization
Board (ATSB). The remaining $100 million of at risk funds are provided by RSA
($75 million) and Bank of America N.A. ($25 million). All funds were received
today. The company repaid RSA $372 million owed on the debtor-in-possession
facility, and also paid RSA $9.4 million of administrative rent, and paid
structuring, loan syndication, collateral agent, loan administration and
professional fees and expenses totaling approximately $48 million.

"We were able to complete this process due to the cooperation and
participation of our employees and other stakeholders, all of whom have made
enormous sacrifices, but have supported our efforts to reposition the company
for success," said David N. Siegel, US Airways president and chief executive
officer. "Securing the $1.24 billion of added capital funds was critical to
boosting our liquidity, executing our business plan, and weathering the very
difficult operating environment that airlines face due to the Iraqi war and
general economic weakness." Siegel said that in total, the completion of the
process involved more than 700 transactions related to contracts and financing
arrangements governing all aspects of operations for US Airways Group, Inc.

In addition, US Airways announced that it has entered into a five and one-
half year agreement with Bank of America to process the company's credit card
transactions, effective May 15, 2003, upon the termination of its current
agreement with National Processing Corp.

On another matter, Siegel said that US Airways continues to negotiate with
both Embraer and Bombardier for regional jets and anticipates placing a
significant order in the near future. US Airways' new regional airline
division, MidAtlantic Airways, should start taking delivery of regional jets
in the fall of 2003 and begin operations in the fourth quarter of 2003.

Continuing to feel the impact of the Iraqi war, the company has informed
Allegheny County authorities that it has set an effective rejection date of
Jan. 5, 2004, to complete the renegotiation of leases at Pittsburgh
International Airport and related facilities. Consequently, the existing
leases were not assumed. "As the industry continues to restructure and the
focus of our operations at Pittsburgh shifts to accommodate more regional
jets, we need the flexibility of renegotiating our leases at that airport and
the broader campus of buildings," said Siegel. "We have had a strong
relationship with the Pittsburgh community and, as I expressed to political
leaders, we will be working closely with them to find ways to reduce our
operating costs and utilize our facilities to best suit our business plan and
operational needs. Allegheny County Chief Executive Jim Roddey has long been
a US Airways supporter and we look forward to working with him to find a
mutually beneficial solution."

Consistent with the plan of reorganization confirmed by the U.S.
Bankruptcy Court on March 18, 2003, the company's prior common stock has been
cancelled. New restricted stock is being distributed in accordance with post-
petition agreements. In exchange for its $240 million investment, RSA holds
the lead investor position in the company with a 36.6 percent stake (on a
fully diluted basis). The remaining stock will be divided as follows: Air Line
Pilots Association (19.3 percent); other employees (10.8 percent); Unsecured
Creditors (10.5 percent); ATSB (10.0 percent); management (7.8 percent); and
General Electric (5.0 percent). US Airways will be listed on a public stock
exchange, but those details were not disclosed, pending the completion of
listing requirements and the distribution of unrestricted stock.

Also in conjunction with emergence, the company's previous Board of
Directors was succeeded by a new Board of Directors selected under the
reorganization plan. The new board members are: Dr. David G. Bronner, David
N. Siegel, Morton Bahr, Rono J. Dutta, Cheryl Gruetzmacher Gordon, Perry
Hayes, Robert L. Johnson, Bruce R. Lakefield, Joseph J. Mantineo, John
McKenna, Hans Mirka, William D. Pollock, James M. Simon Jr., Raymond W. Smith
and William T. Stephens.

Siegel expressed his appreciation to US Airways employees for their
sacrifices, as well as the consistently outstanding customer service they
delivered during the restructuring process. "The effort of our employees has
been nothing short of phenomenal. I truly believe that our customers and the
general public have been rooting for us to succeed, and that groundswell of
public support was generated in large part by the professionalism and
dedication of our employees," said Siegel. "Now that we have concluded this
very difficult process, I look forward to working together with our employees
to rebuild our airline."

Siegel added that while US Airways is emerging as a much more competitive
and financially stronger company, he remains concerned about the economy and
the impact of the Iraqi war on the airline industry. "We have taken very
difficult -- some would even say impossible steps -- to restructure our
company and lower our costs. But government imposed costs continue to
strangle this industry, and the war's direct impact has been substantial. I
am very hopeful that Congress will respond with appropriate relief for the
losses airlines are suffering because of the war and more stringent security
requirements," he said.

The term of the ATSB guaranteed loan facility is six and one-half years,
with repayment over the final three years of the loan. In total, US Airways
has achieved cash savings projected to average $1.9 billion per year. All
labor agreements extend through Dec. 31, 2008, and will result in annual cost
reductions of $1.0 billion. Savings from renegotiated aircraft debt and
leases will save an additional $500 million per year through 2009, and the
company expects to realize savings of $400 million per year from vendor
renegotiations, management concessions, and process re-engineering efforts.
Its cost per available seat mile (CASM) target (domestic stage length
adjusted) is forecast to be approximately 10.5 cents for 2003 and an estimated
9.9 cents on a "steady-state basis," down from the 12.2 cents for the first
half of 2002 (prior to the company's restructuring). Through its
restructuring, the company has eliminated more than $2.8 billion of its $8.4
billion of pre-petition aircraft debt and lease obligations.

US Airways is the nation's seventh-largest airline and the largest air
carrier in the eastern U.S. It flies to nearly 200 cities in the U.S.,
Canada, Mexico, Europe and the Caribbean, with hubs in Charlotte, Philadelphia
and Pittsburgh, and significant operations at Boston Logan, New York LaGuardia
and Washington Reagan National Airport.

Certain of the information contained herein should be considered "forward-
looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation
Reform Act of 1995, that reflect the Company's current views with respect to
current events and financial performance. Such forward-looking statements are
and will be, as the case may be, subject to many risks, uncertainties and
factors relating to the Company's operations and business environment which
may cause the actual results of the Company to be materially different from
any future results, express or implied, by such forward-looking statements.
Factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from these
forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, the following: the
ability of the Company to continue as a going concern; the ability of the
Company to operate pursuant to the terms of its financing facilities; the
ability of the Company to obtain and maintain normal terms with vendors and
service providers; the Company's ability to maintain contracts that are
critical to its operations; the ability of the Company to fund and execute its
business plan; the ability of the Company to attract, motivate and/or retain
key executives and associates; the ability of the Company to attract and
retain customers; the ability of the Company to maintain satisfactory labor
relations; demand for transportation in the markets in which the Company
operates; economic conditions; labor costs; financing costs; aviation fuel
costs; security-related costs; competitive pressures on pricing (particularly
from lower-cost competitors) and on demand (particularly from low-cost
carriers and multi-carrier alliances); weather conditions; government
legislation and regulation; consumer perceptions of the Company's products;
impact of the Iraqi war; other acts of war or terrorism; and other risks and
uncertainties listed from time to time in the Company's reports to the United
States Securities and Exchange Commission. Other factors and assumptions not
identified above are also involved in the preparation of forward-looking
statements, and the failure of such other factors and assumptions to be
realized may also cause actual results to differ materially from those
discussed. The Company assumes no obligation to update such estimates to
reflect actual results, changes in assumptions or changes in other factors
affecting such estimates other than as required by law.