Ottawa may take slice of Air Canada to keep it flying

The Vancouver Sun   Tuesday, March 25, 2003

OTTAWA - Transport Minister David Collenette did not rule out Monday the
possibility of the federal government buying back shares in Air Canada to
keep the struggling airline aloft.  "The situation facing the aviation
industry worldwide is extremely serious. Air Canada is not exempt from
that," Collenette said in the Commons.  "We are continuing to work with the
industry. We are monitoring the situation and, in particular with respect
to Air Canada, we are prepared to discuss with them any options that might
make the situation better."  Collenette was responding to a question from
Tory MP Rex Barnes, who wanted to know if the government is considering
"any scenario [in which] they would buy shares in Air Canada."

Air Canada, like airlines around the world, never recovered completely from
the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the U.S. and is reeling from the
war in Iraq. Canada's flagship carrier last week announced plans to lay off
3,600 employees to save $200 million but it still needs to reduce labour
costs by an additional $650 million. Some analysts believe Air Canada will
be forced to seek bankruptcy protection.  Collenette last week said the
federal government is "committed to the survival" of Air Canada and would
not rule out federal aid, although he said the airline has not yet asked
for any help.
Air Canada was a Crown corporation until the federal government privatized
it in 1988. Outside the Commons, Collenette refused to speculate on the
possibility of the government buying back a share but again did not rule
out the idea.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/