U.S. Senator fears airline aid could delay war funds

U.S. Senator fears airline aid could delay war funds

WASHINGTON (Reuters) =97 The chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee=
=20
said Monday he feared that including airline relief in legislation to fund=
=20
the Iraq war could "hold up" congressional approval of the funding package.=
=20
Sen. Ted Stevens is among top lawmakers scheduled to meet President Bush at=
=20
the White House later Monday to discuss initial funding for the war =97 an=
=20
emergency spending package that will need congressional approval. The=20
Alaska Republican, speaking to reporters in a Capitol Hill hallway, said he=
=20
did not know what the administration's proposed overall price tag for the=20
war would be, or whether the White House wanted to include aid to the=20
airlines whose financial woes have been worsened by the conflict. Asked if=
=20
he personally favored aid to the airlines, Stevens replied, "I do," but=20
added: "Whether or not it should go in this package and hold it up, I don't=
=20
know. "Once you start adding things, to presidential presentations, it's=20
cumulative. It starts picking up. I'm not sure we should do that on this=20
one. We'll just have to wait and see," he said. In a further blow to=20
airline industry hopes, a White House spokesman said aid to airlines=20
affected by a wartime travel slump would not be on the agenda of another=20
White House meeting Monday =97 a session of the National Economic Council.

The biggest U.S. air carriers have said they could face up to $4 billion a=
=20
quarter in losses from a prolonged war with Iraq, and the White House has=20
been discussing including aid for the industry in its wartime spending=20
request. But the White House position remains unclear and on Capitol Hill,=
=20
aides to lawmakers say they believe the administration is divided. Airlines=
=20
have a lot of supporters in Congress. Sen. Tom Daschle, the leader of the=20
Senate minority, said Monday he favored including it in the Iraq war=20
spending package. "I think it probably needs to be (in the wartime spending=
=20
package). I haven't talked to anybody about where it would go, but I think=
=20
its fairly urgent. Something I think is going to have to be done sooner=20
rather than later," the South Dakota Democrat told reporters. But there are=
=20
also lawmakers who oppose helping the industry again so soon after Congress=
=20
approved a $15 billion package of direct aid and loan guarantees, shortly=20
after the hijack attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. Stevens stressed he did not=20
know details of the White House wartime funding request. "I don't know the=
=20
bottom line or the top line," he said.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/