Re: Won't Get Fooled Again?

In a message dated 3/18/2003 10:56:09 AM Central Standard Time,
clay.wardlow@xxxxxxxx writes:

> Very interesting. So walk me though this...
>
> Flights to/from smaller cities using non-jet planes, then for non-hub
> cities using RJs.
>
> Using AA for example: to/from SGF on Eagle using Saab, flights to/from DEN
> using Eagle RJs, flights between MIA - SFO using American Airlines 757/767?
>
> Thanks!
> Clay - SEA

Basically, yes.
       What I was thinking about the current majors is that some of them will
survive but I think they will look more like the PA/TW of the past, doing the
long haul and international flying.  Most of the domestic will be RJ with
T-props where they make sense, somebody will always come in just like my
employer where it is almost guaranteed profit.
       To me Southwest is the aberation, you usually have one significant
deviation from the norm, Herb and Co. are definitely it.  AirTran, well they
are low cost now, will that hold up as they replace the -9s?  jetBlue?  I
have heard an ugly rumor that they will have balloon lease payments to make
eventually, so the books look good for now (think Enron?), but they will have
to pay the piper eventually.
       Given the state of the industry and the news reports I am watching
right now, I think that by the time we see the summer solstice, all bets will
be off.

Jim

PS, We have a MISSING, INTERNMENT, PRISONER, OR HOSTAGE OF WAR BENEFITS
section in our contract, just in case somebody hijacks my J-41 or takes me
prisoner of war in Missouri.

Jim Hann
Waterski J-41 Captain
Lambert-St. Louis Airport (STL/KSTL)