Northwest CEO says war would mean cuts in staff and flights

Northwest CEO says war would mean cuts in staff and flights

EAGAN, Minn. (AP) =97 Northwest Airlines will lay off even more workers and=
=20
further reduce its flying if the United States goes to war in Iraq, its=20
chief executive said. "If there is a war, we will be forced to implement an=
=20
Iraq war plan that will include further cost reductions and schedule=20
pull-downs," CEO Richard Anderson warned employees in a recorded message=20
Monday. The airline will have to "right-size" its capacity to meet the=20
slackened demand that inevitably will come with a war, Anderson said. "It=20
is not something any of us want to do, myself in particular," he said. "But=
=20
it is the only choice we have as demand, particularly internationally,=20
(falls)." During the 1991 Gulf War, U.S. airlines' domestic passenger=20
traffic fell by 8%, trans-Pacific passenger counts fell by 21% and=20
trans-Atlantic travel was off 44%. With a new Gulf War, passenger traffic=20
would fall more sharply than it did in the last war, the Air Transport=20
Association forecast last week. With a war, airlines would most likely lose=
=20
$10.7 billion in 2003, the trade group said. Nearly 10% of daily flights=20
could be canceled and 70,000 airline jobs could be cut. Northwest is not=20
yet forecasting how deep the cuts in employment and flights could be. The=20
Eagan-based carrier already has cut about 12,000 employees in the past two=
=20
years.

"Northwest is studying the situation, but it is premature to speculate on=20
the possible impact," said spokesman Bill Mellon.
Employees interviewed at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport said=20
they expect more job cuts if war begins.
Flight attendant Mary White, a 25-year veteran, said she doesn't like the=20
prospect but understands how it would be hard to avoid layoffs. "I wish=20
this world would become peaceful so we could get on with life," White said.=
=20
"I wish the economy would shape up and the airlines could get back to what=
=20
they used to be =97 or better." Jim Atkinson, president of Aircraft=
 Mechanics=20
Fraternal Association Local 33, said some 400 members of his local have=20
either been laid off or given up their jobs because they didn't want to=20
follow their work to other cities. "We'll have to take this (the war) one=20
day at a time," he said. "We're already operating with thin staffing. I=20
hope this will not affect our group." Northwest has been struggling to=20
recover from the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and cope with a weak economy,=20
soft ticket prices and a big drop in business travel. It has lost $1.2=20
billion in that time. Its paying passenger count has fallen from 58.7=20
million in 2000 to 54.1 million in 2001 and 52.7 million last year. And it=
=20
is flying less and using smaller planes. Since 2000, Northwest has had a=20
10% decline in available seat miles =97 a key measure of its capacity to fly=
=20
passengers. Back in 1991, Northwest blamed a recession and the first Gulf=20
War for a first-quarter loss of $62 million. Overall, passenger traffic in=
=20
that quarter fell by nearly 8%. It also lost $121 million in the fourth=20
quarter of 1990, as Middle East tensions and fuel prices rose and travel=20
declined.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/