Re: SF Gate: Airlines worry they will be war casualties/Fears of takeover by the government

If things got *really* ugly, I would expect Congress to step in, and
possibly nationalize the trunk airlines for an indefinite period,
keeping separate brand identities and work forces, but running the
financial back end, including eliminating a lot of competition,
re-regulating fares, and setting labour contracts.  (NOT the Amtrak
model, thank you!)  Then, after the Middle East war is over and there
is some economic recovery in a new business cycle, the airlines could
be re-privatized.

Another prospect is a forced merger of insolvent or semi-solvent
airlines, with a government-named trustee and board running them.
After 9/11 I actually proposed that several of the ailing trunk
carriers be merged into United and American, leaving two "healthy"
mega-airlines as a competitive duopoly.

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx