Re: SF Gate: Airlines worry they will be war casualties/Fears of takeover by the government

.....My question is, if UA goes belly up, liquidation,
then AA goes belly up, Chapter 7, do you think that by
THEN, ALPA and the 'Teamsters' (appropriately named
for their 19th Century mind-set), will ever get the
message?

Will DL, CO, NW and others EVER figure things out?

Bryant Petitt
Cumming, GA

BTW,
It will be OK with me if the airlines do away with FF
programs....On CO I can rarely redeem miles for what I
want, and the upgrades are non-existant with (my
bottom tier) Elite Status.....

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/chronicle/archive/2003/03=
> [...]
> year, the report said.
> Jet fuel prices reached $1.20 per gallon in
> February, compared with 57
> cents a year ago. Additionally, the association
> said, the airlines' cash
> reserves are nearly exhausted, and they have no
> ability to borrow. And
> taxes, fees and unfunded mandates since Sept. 11
> have added $4 billion
> annually, the group complained.
>    The association predicted losses of $6.7 billion
> this year even without
> war with Iraq.
>    AIRLINES BLAMED
>    Much of the industry's wounds are self-inflicted,
> said Morten Beyer, an
> aviation consultant with Morten Beyer & Agnew in
> Arlington, Va. "It's like
> Japanese hari-kari. They're cutting their guts out,
> not making any basic
> changes," he said. "They stick to what is tried and
> true -- 'My airline is
> better than your airline.' "
>    The major airlines maintain expensive hubs, three
> times more costly than
> what Southwest, the profitable major airline, pays,
> and they give away 10
> percent of their seats to frequent fliers, Beyer
> said.
>    "United and American are doing the same thing --
> holding their model as =
> it
> is -- and there's no way they can compete with
> low-cost airlines with that
> level of service and cost," Beyer said.
>    Both carriers have a minimum number of seats in
> 777 airplanes that are
> licensed for more, he said.
>    "If you want to go San Francisco to Boston, you
> can go any day of the we=
> ek
> on 300 flights operated by probably eight different
> airlines," Beyer said.
> "That is pretty wasteful competition, and even the
> nonstop flights have
> narrow- body, small airplanes, and that is wasteful.
>    "The industry will not go away. People have to
> fly to get there from A to
> B.
>    But the form of the industry may change. The
> government may have to buy
> them or take them over as they did Amtrak."
>    For its part, the Air Transport Association said
> the federal government's
> raising of the terror alert status last month
> resulted in a 20 percent
> decline in advance bookings, even with fares at
> 15-year lows.
>    The association's May said: "To try to meet the
> economic reality of the
> past two years, carriers are cutting tens of
> billions of dollars in
> expenses, have laid off 100,000 employees and have
> taken several hundred
> aircraft out of service. The nation's air carriers
> will continue to do all
> we can, but we fear that the consequences of this
> war will be severe."
>    Predictably, the airlines' shares fell Tuesday.

=== message truncated ===