X-ray artist irks Swedish authorities

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) =97 An exhibit of X-ray photos taken by airport=20
security equipment has irked Swedish aviation authorities who say workers=20
should not have breached security guidelines =97 even for the sake of art.=
=20
The display, which opens Saturday in a gallery in Stockholm, features 13=20
X-ray photographs of a gun, a champagne bottle, various accessories and the=
=20
artist herself. The 28-year-old Swede, who calls herself Maloosak, said=20
police and security at a small airport in northern Sweden helped her take=20
pictures on their X-ray machine last year and even lent her the gun. "They=
=20
thought it was a great idea. They gave me free rein," Maloosak told The=20
Associated Press. Maloosak said she managed to slide 13 objects, including=
=20
herself, through the machine before the airport's director stopped the=20
photo session.

"We don't have anything against art," Civil Aviation Authority spokesman=20
Lars Roehne said. "But it's not acceptable that our employees allow artists=
=20
or other unauthorized persons into these areas." Roehne said the security=20
officers involved were reprimanded but kept their jobs. Both he and=20
Maloosak declined to name the airport. He said the authority didn't try to=
=20
stop the exhibit but denied Maloosak's requests to take more pictures. The=
=20
artist said she didn't mean to stir controversy with her work, which she=20
called a way of "piercing through the surface and right through the soul."=
=20
Maloosak even sent an invitation to the gallery opening to Lars Rekke, the=
=20
head of the Civil Aviation Authority. "He's thinking about it," Roehne said.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/