Flight school investigated after string of crashes

Flight school investigated after string of crashes

MESA, Ariz. (AP) =97 Scottsdale flight school Arizona Flight Works faces=20
scrutiny from federal investigators after a series of mishaps involving its=
=20
aircraft. Aviation officials asked the National Transportation Safety Board=
=20
and the Federal Aviation Administration to look into three crashes over the=
=20
past year involving the flight school, Scottsdale Airport director Scott=20
Gray told the East Valley Tribune. "They have had several incidents over=20
the last year, so we asked the FAA to look into their training practices,"=
=20
Gray said. "Most incidents have to do with pilot error. None of the=20
accidents were ever determined to be a fault of the airport or that it was=
=20
a poor facility." The school's previous owners, CRM Airline Training=20
Center, received dubious notoriety as being a place where suspected Sept.=20
11, 2001, hijacker Hani Hanjour received pilot instruction for three months=
=20
in 1996 and in December 1997. CRM sold its assets to Arizona Flight Works=20
in May 2001. In the most recent incident on Feb. 20, 38-year-old Jerry=20
Stockstill, an Arizona Flight Works student pilot, veered off a Scottsdale=
=20
runway in his Cessna 172 while piloting by himself. The plane crossed a=20
taxiway and slammed into a hangar, damaging the plane's front end.=20
Stockstill suffered serious but non-life-threatening injuries, including=20
multiple leg fractures.

This was the sixth crash the NTSB has investigated in the past year=20
involving the Scottsdale Airport. Three of the incidents involved Arizona=20
Flight Works. Robert Lang, Arizona Flight Works' general manager, confirmed=
=20
that the flight school had been contacted by the FAA. "Our intentions are=20
to fully cooperate with the NTSB and the FAA," Lang said. "We want to=20
participate with any inquiries they have with our safety." Runo Nelson, an=
=20
investigator with the Scottsdale Flights Standards District Office, a=20
branch of the FAA, confirmed he was leading an investigation of Arizona=20
Flight Works. On Nov. 11, an Arizona Flight Works plane hit a runway sign=20
while landing. No one was hurt, but the plane sustained substantial damage.=
=20
No flight plan was filed before landing at Scottsdale Airport, according to=
=20
NTSB records. A student pilot of Arizona Flight Works lost control during a=
=20
landing May 21, hitting a runway sign. The pilot wasn't hurt, but the plane=
=20
was severely damaged. Again, no flight plan had been filed, according to=20
NTSB records. "I am really concerned there have been a couple accidents=20
that were from the same training center at the airport," Scottsdale City=20
Councilman Wayne Ecton said. Additionally, Ecton said the airport's=20
operation procedures should be looked at. A Utah couple died Jan. 26 when=20
their plane crashed into the McDowell Mountains during a takeoff from the=20
airport at night. On Dec. 8, small plane landed upside down after crashing=
=20
into a shopping center after takeoff. The pilot and passenger suffered=20
minor injuries.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/