Re: Concorde future 'under review'

Here goes (I would note from the photos in the report that soot traces on=
 the runway show that the fire broke out when the aircraft was clearly st=
ill on or near the runway centerline, therefore quashing the theory that =
a runway light stanchion was the cause;  the aircraft did drift towards t=
he lights, but only after the catastrophic sequence of events had commenc=
ed):

R=E9sum=E9

Lors du d=E9collage de la piste 26 droite de l'a=E9rodrome de Paris Charl=
es de Gaulle, peu avant la rotation, le pneu avant droit (roue n=B0 2) du=
 train gauche roule sur une lamelle m=E9tallique tomb=E9e d'un autre avio=
n et se d=E9t=E9riore. Des d=E9bris sont projet=E9s contre la structure d=
e l'aile, provoquant une rupture du r=E9servoir 5. Un feu important, alim=
ent=E9 par la fuite, se d=E9clare presque imm=E9diatement sous la voilure=
 gauche. Des probl=E8mes apparaissent peu apr=E8s sur le moteur 2 et mome=
ntan=E9ment sur le moteur 1. L'avion d=E9colle. L'=E9quipage arr=EAte le =
moteur 2, toujours proche du r=E9gime ralenti, apr=E8s une alarme feu mot=
eur. Il constate que le train ne rentre pas. L'avion vole pendant environ=
 une minute =E0 la vitesse de 200 kt et =E0 l'altitude radio sonde de 200=
 pieds, mais il ne peut pas prendre ni altitude ni vitesse. Le moteur 1 p=
erd alors sa pouss=E9e, l'incidence et l'inclinaison de l'avion augmenten=
t fortement. La pouss=E9e des moteurs 3 et 4 diminue rapidement. L'avion =
s'=E9crase sur un h=F4tel.

Translated:

During takeoff from runway 26 at Paris-CDG, shortly before rotation, the =
front right tire (wheel no. 2) of the left landing gear rolled over a met=
allic blade fallen from another aircraft, and is damaged.  Debris was pro=
jected, impacting against the wing structure, causing rupture of no. 5 fu=
el tank.  A serious fire, fed by the ensuing leak, starts almost immediat=
ely under the left wing.  Problems occured shortly afterwards with no. 2 =
engine and momentarily with no. 1 engine.  The aircraft took off.  The cr=
ew shut down no. 2 engine, which remained near idle, after an engine fire=
 warning.  The crew realizes that the landing gear won’t retract.  =
The aircraft flew for approximately 1 minute at 200 knots, and a radar al=
titude of 200 feet, but is unable to climb or accelerate.  No. 1 engine t=
hen loses thrust, with the angle of attack and of bank of the aircraft in=
creasingly greatly.  No. 3 and 4 engines lose thrust rapidly.  The aircra=
ft crashes into a hotel.

Mike Gammon