Re: .....and for all these reasons, they should not carry guns

In a message dated 2/28/2003 11:11:26 AM Central Standard Time,
damiross2@attbi.com writes:

> have you ever been to a major airport where the restroom was empty?
>   The way the TSA is talking, I don't think the lockbox would be for gun
> storage while on the ground.  It sounds like they want it in the lockbox
> all
> the time.
>    If you had a weapon (which is voluntary, btw), how would you feel, as an
> airline capitan, having to speak to several psychologists?  This is one of
> the
> stupid requirements by the TSA.  Let me get this straight - you are
> mentally
> capable of flying an aircraft with anywhere from 19 to 500 passengers but
> may
> not be mentally capable of using a tool that could - make that will -
> prevent a
> hijacking?

Actually, I have been in several empty men's rooms at Lambert, inside
security, where passengers can use them.  I know that carriage is voluntary
(and currently our company GOM will not allow anybody to pack heat) and I
have no problem using it if the need arises.  You hit one big point right on
the head, I am the pilot, I am supposed to be flying the airplane, not trying
to twist approximately 150 degrees in my seat to discharge a weapon in close
quarters with enough accuracy to hit a hijacker on the first try.  I doubt
that if s/he is intent on killing me I will have the chance to fire a second
shot.  I still think that the FAMs are the best way to deal with this
problem, espeically with the strengthened cockpit doors that we are currently
installing.  If we are so concerned right now with hijackers gaining access
to the cockpit, why do we need a gun behind the locked door?  Bank guards
don't stand inside a closed vault, do they?

David, I am not angry at you, even if this comes across that way, I just
think that adding the stronger door and putting a gun INSIDE doesn't really
do much good.  I am not allowed (by company policy) to open the door for any
reason that I don't initiate nowadays (duty or physiological needs, no food
for us).

Jim Hann
Waterski J-41 Captain
Lambert-St. Louis Airport (STL/KSTL)