The Big 4s

--=======96A2EF7=======

Gerry wrote (in part)

>Which post-war 4-engine went into revenue service first, Stratocruiser,  DC6
>or Connie?   For some reason I can't recall, I preferred the Connie to the
>DC6.  I think it may have been quieter, or maybe the engines didn't glow as
>brightly.  Never rode in or even saw the Boeing.

I have a TWA timetable of April 1 1941, which lists daily New York-Los
Angeles Boeing Stratoliner flights with three intermediate stops at
Chicago, Kansas City and Albuquerque.  The service was inaugurated July 8
1940, cutting the time to less than 14 hours, according to R.E.G. Davies
TWA book.  Pan Am was the only other operator to start (I just mis-spelled
that as Strat!) before the US entered WWII - I believe they flew NYC to
Rio, with stops, before being taken over by the military.   When they
re-entered scheduled TWA service after the war, they were flying without
the pressurisation equipment, deleted to save weight for Atlantic
crossings, I think.  Pan Am's appear to have been sold to the French:
somewhere I have a postwar timetable for Aigle Azur,a French carrier that
used them for a period: they were also flown in Indo-china by the UN
Control Commission around the fifties, I think.

Lockheed Constellations were built to TWA's pre-war specifications, but the
airline did not get the use of them until early 1946, and their
introduction to Transatlantic service was by Pan Am on January 14th
1946.  TWA's services started in February 1946.  Other early carriers
included AOA , BOAC and KLM on worldwide routes and Eastern within the USA.

DC4s had become (under various military designations) the mainstay of
long-distance transport by the end of the war, and despite the ready
availability of conversions, Douglas still sold several hundred new DC-4s
to airlines worldwide.  It suffered though by comparison with the
Constellation, and it was not long before the DC-6 with equivalent speed at
pressurisation went into production. A United schedule of July 1 1947 shows
DC-6 flights (which at the time they called Mainliner 300),  American may
have started earlier, but I don't have a relevant schedule from the period.

Boeing Stratocruisers went into service with Pan Am on the Hawaii route on
April 1 1949, and very soon afterwards on the Atlantic and elsewhere. AOA
and BOAC also operated B377s on the Atlantic, United mainly on the West
Coast-Hawaii route, and NWA transcontinentally and to the Orient.

Douglas and Lockheed progressively updated their models until the jets came
on the scene in the late '50s.

  Robin Johnson

---