Re: SF Gate: Report blames bad fuel estimate for Seattle Stratoliner ditching

From: "Bill Hough" <psa188@juno.com>

Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 10:30 AM

<snip>
   Boeing built just 10 Stratoliners, the world's first commercial airplane
with a pressurized cabin, and the first four-engine airliner to be in
scheduled service in the United States. The plane entered service in 1940
with TWA and later with Pan Am, but World War II ended sales as Boeing
switched almost entirely to wartime production.

I'm surprised to know that the Stratoliner (307?) made it into scheduled
service before the DC4.  No doubt about the priority on pressurization,
though.

Which post-war 4-engine went into revenue service first, Stratocruiser,  DC6
or Connie?   For some reason I can't recall, I preferred the Connie to the
DC6.  I think it may have been quieter, or maybe the engines didn't glow as
brightly.  Never rode in or even saw the Boeing.

Gerry
http://foley.ultinet.net/~gerry/africar/africa.html
http://home.columbus.rr.com/gfoley
http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/pollock/263/egypt/egypt.html