Re: Boeing 707

Nick Laflamme:
> features (airbags, anti-lock brakes), but they crumple in a crash like an
> aluminum can under my foot.

That's part of the safety, the crumpling absorbs the crash energy so less of it gets to the passengers.

>Considered the performance problems
> of the A340, I'm sure they has been some pressure on them to lighten those
> planes however they can, to tighten tolerances when they can to gain a few
> more miles of range. However, I can't think of any A340 (or A330) incidents

An Air Canada captain told me the A340 has "just enough power to get the job done".  The A330, however, like many twins, is overpowered.  I flew YYZ-YUL on one once, and it took off and climbed like a scared cat, with its light fuel load.

The true test of the A340 would be losing one after V1.  My guess is that it would not survive the loss of two after V1

Mike Gammon