Re: Boeing 707

--=======1CA4648=======

Aircraft do not have to be "ridiculously strong" to undertake an aileron
roll.  It's a
pretty mild manoevre, and need not impose great g-loads, if well co-ordinated.
See photos at http://www.historylink.org/output.cfm?file_id=390 of Tex
Johnston's
(in)famous performance.  The Barrel Roll, is a rather different evasive
move, and
neither are remotely like a loop.
On the other hand, I can remember seeing a 707 - actually a test model of the
KC135, I think - under torture test in Seattle around 1958.
The wrinkles in the skin and the bends in the wings and stabilisers were very
noticeable.  I was not there when things popped, but I was told it was LOUD!

Robin Johnson

At 08:40 AM 2/21/2003 Friday -0500, you wrote:

>At 08:51 PM 2/20/2003 -0800, David Ross wrote:
> >At the risk of starting the Boeing versus "them" war, Boeing makes strong
> >aircraft!
>
>I wouldn't use the 707 as proof that Boeing still builds aircraft a
>particular way. For a comparison, look at the cars we drive, compared to
>the cars our parents drove. They have better gas mileage and better safety
>features (airbags, anti-lock brakes), but they crumple in a crash like an
>aluminum can under my foot.
>
>I wonder if Boeing still makes their aircraft so ridiculously strong? Or
>have they, like so many modern manufacturers, figured out exactly how
>strong their products have to be for normal use and refined their
>engineering process so the product is exactly that strong?
>
>I'm not an apologist for either Airbus (or Boeing), but I can't point to
>anything that makes me wonder if Airbus optimized the tolerances and
>capacities of their airliners too much. Considered the performance problems
>of the A340, I'm sure they has been some pressure on them to lighten those
>planes however they can, to tighten tolerances when they can to gain a few
>more miles of range. However, I can't think of any A340 (or A330) incidents
>that make me wonder if they've gone too far in the quest for light weight.
>
>Back in the time of the 707, the Comet airliner had just had a series of
>catastrophic failures in mid-flight; there was a design flaw that caused
>metal fatigue. That may have contributed to any arguments in favor of
>bullet-proofing the 707. Certainly some 727s have survived some huge
>in-flight stresses (remember that 727 that went into a supersonic dive over
>Michigan in the late '70s?), so it's not that Boeing said, "Oh, we'll never
>make an airliner that strong again," after the 707. But to assert that
>Boeing still makes craft that could survive what Tex Johnston did to that
>707 might be overly optimistic.
>
>Nick

---