Big Sky looking for more passengers

GILLETTE, Wyo. (AP) =97 Ticket sales for Big Sky Airlines continue to be=20
about a third of what the company wants. "We're still seeing good response=
=20
to our schedules. However, we're still not meeting budget expectations=20
yet," Executive Vice President Craig Denney said Tuesday. Some 208=20
passengers boarded Big Sky flights in Gillette in January. Ideally, Denney=
=20
said, the airline would like to see that number be about 600 per month. Low=
=20
ticket sales, high fuel prices, recent terrorist alerts, the ongoing crises=
=20
in Iraq and North Korea and a plodding economy all have taken a toll on the=
=20
airline, as well as the entire industry, Denney said. "Air traffic is down=
=20
everywhere," he said. Big Sky began flying in and out of Wyoming on routes=
=20
between Gillette, Casper and Billings in late October. Earlier last year,=20
Campbell and Natrona counties each pledged $250,000 to match a $500,000=20
federal grant to help fund the project, which included buying a 19-seat=20
Metroliner airplane. Denney had said in November he hoped travel during the=
=20
holiday season would jump-start sales for the airline once flyers became=20
familiar with the service. But ticket sales for Big Sky flights between=20
Gillette and Billings plummeted by 41% between December and January as the=
=20
travel industry headed into its traditional slow season. On Jan. 14, the=20
airline was compelled to start running only two scheduled flights a day on=
=20
its Wyoming routes instead of three. "We remain optimistic. However, if=20
people take the attitude of not using it for a number of months, that=20
service could be gone," Denney said.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/