Citing state law, Seattle airport ignores federal directive

Citing state law, Seattle airport ignores federal directive

SEATTLE (AP) =97 Citing state law, Seattle-Tacoma International and some=20
other airports in Washington are ignoring a federal directive to randomly=20
search vehicles along terminal curbside drives. The federal Transportation=
=20
Security Administration issued the order about 10 days ago as part of the=20
heightened "orange" terrorism alert. Several major airports, including Los=
=20
Angeles International and Dallas-Fort Worth International, have agreed to=20
follow the order, setting up a presence similar to a sobriety checkpoint or=
=20
border crossing, the Washington Post reported Wednesday. Sea-Tac has=20
refused to conduct random searches, but does search any vehicles deemed=20
suspicious, spokesman Bob Parker said. "I don't want people left with the=20
impression that we're not paying attention," Parker said. "It's just that=20
we can't use the random checkpoint method." The reason, he said, is that=20
the state constitution provides a strong privacy protection =97 which courts=
=20
have used to strike down other random searches, such as roadblock sobriety=
=20
checkpoints.

The Washington State Patrol last summer stopped randomly searching every=20
15th vehicle boarding a state ferry. The practice was costing too much in=20
trooper overtime, and the state attorney general's office had warned that=20
the patrol had no clear authority to perform the searches. "Just as this=20
state has learned on the issue of sobriety checkpoints and on the issue of=
=20
searches of vehicles on state ferries," authorities need a reason to stop=20
someone and search a vehicle, Parker said.
Spokane International Airport, which handled 204,000 passengers in January,=
=20
is taking a similar approach, spokesman Todd Woodard said. After talks with=
=20
the Transportation Security Administration, "we agreed to have airport=20
police officers remain especially vigilant in their review of vehicles=20
approaching the terminal building and to perform searches of automobiles=20
that match the probable cause criteria for our current alert level,"=20
Woodard said. Not all airports in the state were refusing to follow the TSA=
=20
directive, however. Bellingham International Airport has been conducting=20
random searches since the order came down about 10 days ago, said Aviation=
=20
Director Art Choat. The legality of the searches under state law "is not an=
=20
issue I've looked at yet," Choat said. He said he planned to review the=20
Port of Seattle's analysis before deciding whether to halt the searches.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/