Fliers' fear factor returns in 'a rotten time to travel'

Fliers' fear factor returns in 'a rotten time to travel'
By Marilyn Adams, USA TODAY

MIAMI =97 The offer seemed too good to resist: 10 days in Europe including=
=20
four-star hotels and round-trip air, all for less than $1,000. But Kevin=20
Tracy, an Atlanta-based software salesman who once took 150 flights a year,=
=20
turned down the tour without a second thought. Tracy, who was in the air=20
during the Sept. 11 attacks and was stranded for days away from home,=20
dreads getting stranded again if war with Iraq or another terrorist=20
incident erupts. "It's a great deal, but a rotten time to travel," Tracy=20
says. "Europe is not the right place to be when all hell breaks loose."=20
Fear of air travel is back. Just when passengers were growing numb to the=20
invasive security ordeal before every flight, the Iraq threat and the=20
government's "orange alert" have ratcheted up the fear level again. The=20
alert has brought out swarms of police, bomb-sniffing dogs, even soldiers=20
at some airports and train stations in the USA and abroad. Airlines already=
=20
posting deep losses have seen February and March bookings sag on=20
international flights and have slashed fares to fill seats.

The sudden security uptick 17 months after the terrorist attacks and five=20
months after the attacks' anniversary has travelers asking the=20
unanswerable: How long until the next alert? How long until most people can=
=20
feel at ease again on a trip? "First it was the fear factor, then it was=20
the security hassle factor" that kept many air passengers home, says Terry=
=20
Trippler, air traveler advocate with CheapSeats.com. "Then it was the=20
economy. Now we're back to the fear factor again." Travelers' nerves have=20
had little time to recover. Fear has been stoked by images of tanks at=20
London's Heathrow Airport, soldiers at New York's Grand Central Station and=
=20
anti-aircraft missiles outside the Capitol in Washington. Already strict=20
security at major airports is beefed up. At Los Angeles this week,=20
motorcycle police are confronting motorists who tarry too long in the=20
pickup and drop-off zone next to terminals. At New York's LaGuardia,=20
passengers are being ordered to remove not only coats and laptops but also=
=20
their shoes to be X-rayed. At Dallas/Fort Worth, "We are visually=20
inspecting every vehicle coming into the airport =97 35,000 a day," says=20
airport spokesman Ken Capps. Police are using mirrors to check under=20
vehicles for explosives. Police at many airports nationwide are searching=20
some or all incoming vehicles, and small airports aren't exempt. Travelers=
=20
driving to sleepy Key West Airport in Florida are being stopped so their=20
trunks can be opened and sniffed by police dogs. Vans carrying airline=20
crews to flights at Savannah, Ga., are being stopped outside the airport so=
=20
occupants' credentials can be checked.

"Where they used to check crew IDs once, now they are checking a couple=20
times to make sure it's the right person, the right number of crew," says=20
AirTran Airways spokesman Tad Hutcheson. "People are a little bit more on=20
edge." Designed to ward off potential terrorists, the stepped-up security=20
measures at airports and elsewhere are scaring some passengers, too.=20
Earlier this week, Herb Pereira waited at Miami International with his wife=
=20
and baby son in a seemingly endless security line, worried less about the=20
blizzard awaiting them in New York than invisible dangers. "People are=20
afraid," said Pereira, a Brooklyn lawyer who was visiting relatives. "My=20
sister was dropping me off at the airport today, saying that since the=20
orange alert and the (Osama) bin Laden video last week, she's afraid to=20
fly. When I get home, I'm getting my duct tape and stocking up on food and=
=20
water. We live in scary times." Fear is keeping some travelers home now.=20
Although airlines don't release their booking numbers, Wall Street airline=
=20
analysts say virtually all airlines with trans-Atlantic routes are=20
reporting soft international-trip bookings this month and throughout March.=
=20
"Certain carriers have already begun to pre-cancel poorly performing=20
flights," says J.P. Morgan analyst Jamie Baker. In a new survey of 400=20
corporate travel managers, 82% said their companies would reduce or stop=20
international travel in case of a war or terror attack, and 35% said=20
domestic flying would be reduced, too. The study by the Association of=20
Corporate Travel Executives found that caution is taking a toll: 32% of the=
=20
managers said their companies have reduced overseas travel because of the=20
fear of war with Iraq.

Calming worried minds
Airlines know that some passengers fret about all kinds of things. To help=
=20
calm jitters, Delta Air Lines is offering a passenger relaxation tape=20
called E-Z-Flight on one in-flight entertainment channel on long flights.=20
The airline began offering the "stress-relieving channel" last year.=20
Developed by a mental health therapist who's married to a Delta pilot, the=
=20
40-minute relaxation program exhorts passengers to breathe deeply, and=20
imagine a beach. Sounds of lapping ocean waves set the mood.
"Many responses I'm getting are from frequent-flier businessmen saying=20
'Where can I order this?' " says creator Ruth Cann, whose e-mail address is=
=20
on the tape. "By the time people get to their seats, they are so caught up=
=20
in what they just went through." Behavior experts say the orange terrorism=
=20
alert has been particularly scary to some travelers because they don't know=
=20
how to react. "Typically you relieve anxiety through knowledge," says=20
trauma psychologist Robert Butterworth of Los Angeles. "In this case,=20
people don't know what to do. I also worry about the desensitization=20
factor, about people saying after awhile, 'Big deal, another alert.' "

Some frequent travelers wonder how airport security could get any more=20
draconian. Florida-based sales trainer Glenna Ballard, who travels two to=20
three weeks a month, was privately amused when the orange alert was issued.=
=20
"What else are they going to do =97 full body searches on everyone?" she=20
says. But some of the sales trainees in a class she was conducting became=20
spooked when the alert was issued during their seminar. "Some of them don't=
=20
fly much and decided not to fly home," she says.
Those who travel a lot find they are also facing more questions from people=
=20
worried about them. "My family and friends keep asking if I can find a way=
=20
to get off the road," says Washington-based consultant Anne Seymour, an=20
advocate for crime victims' rights who travels 50% of the time. Seymour,=20
who was stranded in Detroit after the Sept. 11 attacks, says she's taking=20
new precautions. She now pre-programs rental-car reservation numbers into=20
her cell phone and leaves a detailed itinerary with friends and co-workers=
=20
when she travels. She's also re-thinking a trip to Britain in May. "My=20
girlfriends and I have tickets to Bruce Springsteen in London over Memorial=
=20
Day," she says. "We had a long talk on the phone the other day and decided=
=20
that if things are still on high alert, we're not going."

As it did during the 1991 Persian Gulf War, international travel seems to=20
be taking the biggest hit from today's fears. Jim Corbett, a high school=20
European history teacher in Mission Viejo, Calif., is pressing ahead with=20
plans to take 40 graduating seniors on a European trip this summer, as he=20
has for 10 years. "The vast majority will go," he says. "I'm on the fence,"=
=20
says Susan Wystrach, whose 17-year-old son, Carter, is signed up to go. She=
=20
worries about the group visiting clubs in the evenings. Terrorists "target=
=20
clubs with young people," she says. "My son would like to go, but at the=20
same time he doesn't want to go to a war zone."

Some not scared
Still, many travelers haven't been scared off by the terror talk. Some=20
simply must fly for their jobs. They don't admit fear or let it slow them=20
down. A day after the tanks showed up at Heathrow, Jim Mock of Phoenix, for=
=20
example, went ahead with plans to fly to London on business. "Some of my=20
associates expressed concern," says Mock, whose company distributes=20
hydraulic equipment in the USA and abroad. "My attitude is that terrorism=20
is intended to instill fear, and we can't allow that. At Heathrow, I=20
thought I'd see soldiers and tanks, but I didn't see anything. My cab=20
driver told me they were still there, just out of sight." Mock even took=20
his distinctly American cowboy hat along on the trip and wore it in public.=
=20
"I got some funny looks. When I went to one pub, they took my picture."=20
Butterworth, the trauma expert, says some people feel the need to stare=20
down fear. "You've got to have a little denial, or you'd never go=20
anywhere," he says. "You're playing the odds."

Contributing: Barbara De Lollis, Barbara Hansen, Dan Reed and Chris Woodyard

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/