Re: Super 80 question...

As I recall, the MD-88 was the first and the following seems to confirm it,
the first two are MD-82 and MD-87's, the last two are MD-88 and
MD-90's.  As I recall the MD-88 was the first with a different type, all
preceding ones were based off a modification of the DC-9-10 type from the
60's.  (And I may not be wording that just right, certification of aircraft
and things that go on aircraft is an odd process, one I'm just learning the
tip of the ice berg on)

Shawn

N-number                       : N223AA
Aircraft Serial Number         : 49173
Aircraft Manufacturer          : MCDONNELL DOUGLAS
          Model                 : DC-9-82(MD-82)
Engine   Manufacturer          : P&W
          Model                 : JT8D SERIES
Aircraft Year                  : 1983

N-number                       : N143G
Aircraft Serial Number         : 49670
Aircraft Manufacturer          : MCDONNELL DOUGLAS
          Model                 : DC-9-87
Engine   Manufacturer          : P&W
          Model                 : JT8D SERIES
Aircraft Year                  : 1988

N-number                       : N916DL
Aircraft Serial Number         : 49591
Aircraft Manufacturer          : MCDONNELL DOUGLAS AIRCRAFT CO
          Model                 : MD-88
Engine   Manufacturer          : P&W
          Model                 : JT8D SERIES
Aircraft Year                  : 1988

N-number                       : N909DA
Aircraft Serial Number         : 53389
Aircraft Manufacturer          : MCDONNELL DOUGLAS
          Model                 : MD-90-30
Engine   Manufacturer          : IAE
          Model                 : V2500
Aircraft Year                  : 1995

At 11:32 AM 2/14/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>The MD80 was built under the DC-9 type certificate.  Therefore as far as
>the FAA and various airworthiness agencies around the world are concerned,
>it's the DC-9-81, DC-9-82, DC-9-83.  The "MD80" appelation was for
>marketing reasons only.  I forget at which model the DC9 name finally
>disappeared and became "MD".  Either the -87 or -88 I think.

You land a million planes safely
Then you have one little mid air
And you never hear the end of it