SF Gate: United plan cites low-cost carrier in detailing revival plan

 Let's call it "Allegis" by "Avolar"
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/news/archive/2003/02/05/n=
ational1819EST0808.DTL
Wednesday, February 5, 2003 (AP)
United plan cites low-cost carrier in detailing revival plan
DAVE CARPENTER, AP Business Writer

   (02-05) 15:19 PST CHICAGO (AP) --
   United Airlines on Wednesday defended its plan to launch a new discount
carrier, saying it would help the bankrupt airline keep pace with
lower-cost competitors.
   In a taped message to employees, the company said the new carrier will u=
se
a business model that "has learned from the industry's past mistakes." It
offered few specifics.
   United CEO Glenn Tilton announced in December that the company plans to
launch a low-cost carrier. Despite United's assertion that it needs its
own discount carrier to become more competitive, unions remained cool to
the plan and analysts said there were not enough details to assess it.
   United said its strategy is centered on a strong network of routes and
hubs that give it a "distinct revenue advantage" over competitors.
   "We simply generate more money with our network," executive vice preside=
nt
Doug Hacker said in the message. "What we don't have are cost advantage
and the flexibility that allow us to respond to substantial changes in the
market."
   United, the world's No. 2 carrier, filed for bankruptcy protection eight
weeks ago and lost a company-worst $3.2 billion in 2002.
   It has been scrambling to overhaul its financial strategy, slash labor
costs by a targeted $2.4 billion a year, renegotiate aircraft leases and
mortgages and restructure its fleet.
   Unions for the pilots and flight attendants have criticized management f=
or
not presenting more specific data to justify the dramatic changes and wage
concessions the airline is seeking. They have pledged to fight the plan
for a low-cost carrier.

On the Net: www.united.com

=20
Copyright 2003 AP