Trip Report : EDI-MUC

Evening all,

I paid 139 pounds for this weekend, about $200 US, a bit more than the low
cost equivalents, but still good value, primarily as a photo trip.

EDI-LHR (Edinburgh, UK - London Heathrow, UK)
G-MIDF A321-231 BMI British Midland BD051
This sector operates a Lufthansa codeshare, and was full because of British
Airways having cancelled flights due to weather in London the night before.
BMA looked as if they were honouring BA tickets.
Scheduled time was 0635/0805, we pushed at 0637, took off at 0649, landed at
0742, and pulled in at the gate at 0747. Looking forward to a cooked
breakfast, but the Ciabatta roll with sausage went down really well - very
fresh and a better idea than some of the muck I've had in the past.

LHR-MUC (Heathrow - Munich)
D-AIPF A320-211 Lufthansa LH4707
Funny how at EDI I couldn't be checked thru to Munich, I found out that the
inbound aircraft didn't depart Munich until about 0830 UK time, due to snow
in Germany. Checked in at the laughably named Flight Connections Centre,
really just a central line of people. Scheduled times were 0930/1215
(Germany of course being an hour ahead of the UK). We left the gate on a
full flight again at 1056, taking off quickly (for the 'Row) at 1107. Flight
time was an impressive 77 minutes, landing at 1324 local, and at the gate at
1329.

Food service was coldcuts with tea/coffee or alcoholic drinks.

Munich has what looks like some remote stands, but you leave the aircraft
via an airbridge, then enter a small glass structure, just steps an an
escalator down to below ground level, where we were met by a bus to take us
to the arrivals hall. There are at least 12 stands like this, in addition to
the 20 or so connected directly to Terminal 1, plus maybe 50 or so remote
stands in the true sense. The field is dominated by Regional aircraft, being
the hubs of Air Dolomiti with ATR42s and 72s, Lufthansa Cityline with CRJs,
CRJ-700s and RJ85s, and Deutsche BA with 737s.

For watching aircraft, the best place to go is the Besucherpark. Its easiest
to walk. Exiting Terminal A, where Lufthansa's domestic operations are, its
a 1200m walk, but as you walk round you can see a fair part of the apron.
Building work continues apace on Terminal 2, which is well away from the
current viewing, but assuming the same prevailing winds as when I was there,
none of the action would be missed completely.

The Besucherpark is essentially a big man made hill, with 163 steps (I
counted 'em), and costs either 1 or 2 euros to enter, although the price
does allow up close access to the three preserved aircraft, which are a
Swiss Air Lines DC3, HB-IRN; Lufthansa Ju52 D-ANOY, and LH Super
Constellation D-ALEM.

There are no food or toilet facilities at the top of the hill, so either
requires you to pay again. There is an aviation shop and a reasonably priced
restaurant at the bottom of the hill at the entrance. There is also a bus
tour available, think it cost 10 euros including entrance to the hill, but I
didn't go on it.

>From the hill, both runways can be seen, although the southern one is a bit
distant. Good binoculars are needed for registrations, but inbounds from the
northern runway mostly taxi within camera distance. I needed a 280mm lens
for a 737-300, and care is needed to avoid the lamp standards, but nothing
(not even a Cargolux 747 - the only lump I saw there - was missed).

Some of the commuters park well away from the terminal, such as Dolomiti,
Augsburg AW and Eurowings.

MUC-FRA (Munich - Frankfurt)
D-AIRY A321-231 Lufthansa LH163
One nice touch at Munich, which was absent at Frankfurt, was free coffee at
the Lufthansa gates.

The scheduled times were 1750/1905, and we pushed back at 1752, arriving at
the gate at FRA at 1857, after a flight lasting 39 minutes. Drinks service
was suspended before I got one due to a bit of rough weather.

FRA-EDI (Frankfurt - Edinburgh)
D-AVRN Bae RJ85 Lufthansa LH5954
The flight left late because of a late arrival from EDI, due to deicing,
according to the flight crew. Being at one of the most remote stands near LH
Cargo, we pushed at 2226, well after the scheduled departure of 2150, taking
off at 2237. Food service was a cold salad and a couple of Warsteiner beers
- nectar!! Headwinds meant no time made up, exacerbated by waiting for a Go
737 to come off stand after being deiced at EDI. We landed at 2333 (that's 4
minutes short of 2 hours flight time) at pulled up at the gate at 2347.

Highlights of my sightings were :

SAT 01 FEBRUARY 2003        MUC 1430-1700

    D4-CBG    752    TCV = Cape Verde Airlines
    EY-85692  154    TZK = Tajikistan AL
    F-GPKM    SF3    ECC = Europe Continental AW / Crossair Europe
    OK-XFB    AT7    CSA = Czech AL
    F-OGYQ    313    AFL = Aeroflot
    RA-85674  154    SBI = Sibir AL
    RA-85814  154    SVR = Ural AL
    S7-ASY    763    SEY = Air Seychelles
    D-AILK    319    KZW = Khalifa AL

SUN 02 FEBRUARY 2003        MUC 0900-1700
    A6-MFM    738    UAE Govt (Think this is a BBJ2)
    A6-EKW    332    UAE = Emirates
    B-2382    343    CES = China Eastern
    F-GPTB    CRJ    LIT = Air Littoral
    LX-RCV    744    CLX = Cargolux
    VP-BAJ    734    AFL = Aeroflot
    RA-85770  154    PLK = Pulkovo AL
    RA-85673  154    SBI = Sibir AL
    S5-AAF    CRJ    ADR = Adria AW
    SU-GBU    321    MSR = Egyptair
    SU-RAD    320    SHK = Shorouk AL
    SX-BLM    734    CUS = Aegean AL
    TF-MDC    M83    MDI = Icelandic MD Airlines
    4X-EAB    762    ELY = ElAl
    9H-ABP    320    AMC = Air Malta

SUN 02 FEBRUARY 2003        FRA 1930-2130
    HA-LME    F70    MAH = Malev
    HL7526    772    KAL = Korean AL
    I-BIMI    319    AZA = Alitalia
    OY-MRJ    737    DAN = Maersk