BWIA unions challenge firings

BY JUHEL BROWNE Trinidad Guardian

The four unions at BWIA are seeking to file legal action to stop the
airline from retrenching 617 of its workers.  They met yesterday and
decided to consult with their respective attorneys before meeting with the
617 workers on Friday to discuss taking BWIA to court.  "We feel there is
violation there and we are waiting on a legal opinion on it," said Jagdeo
Jagroop president of the Communication Transport and General Workers Trade
Union. "Under the Retrenchment and Severance Benefit Act they were supposed
to treat with us and they did not. We can challenge them in court." CATTU
is represented by the law firm Ashmeed Ali & Co but Jagroop said the unions
may decide to contract one lawyer to represent all of the 617 retrenched
BWIA employees.

Attorney-at-law Douglas Mendes, who represents the Aviation Communication
and Allied Workers Union seems most likely to be the attorney who will
represent retrenched employees.  The four unions met on the same day that
the National Trade Union Centre, the umbrella body for the nation's trade
unions, condemned the BWIA retrenchments.  "We call on all workers in the
country to support whatever actions are taken by BWIA workers to protect
their jobs," said NATUC secretary general Vincent Cabrera yesterday.  He
said BWIA's board of directors and executive management had blatantly
violated the procedure under the Severance Act "which legislates that the
employer must first give the union an opportunity to make proposals to
mitigate the effect of retrenchment."  Cabrera called the dismissals
"brutal and terroristic."

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/