Ex-BWIA pilots to work with Caribbean Star

Ex-BWIA pilots to work with Caribbean Star
BY JUHEL BROWNE
Trinidad Guardian

Pilots who were cut from BWIA's roster when it phased out its Dash 8
aircraft are being welcomed on board by competing airline Caribbean Star
Airlines.  "We have interviewed about 15 former BWIA pilots and we expect
them to come on board very soon," said Paul Moreira, chief executive
officer of Caribbean Star on Tuesday.  Moreira was attending a ceremony for
the inaugural flight of Caribbean Sun, the sister airline of Caribbean
Star. The plane flew from San Juan, Puerto Rico to Tortola.  He was
interviewed on Tuesday at the Beef Island International Airport, Tortola,
British Virgin Islands.  When told of Caribbean Star's attempt to hire its
former pilots, BWIA corporate communications director Clint Williams said:
"That is excellent and we wish them the best of luck. We are happy to know
they were able to find good employment."

BWIA phased out its three De Havilland Dash 8 aircraft as part of its fleet
rationalisation programme, an initiative meant to save costs. Those
aircraft served the Tobago airbridge as well as some of the intra-Caribbean
routes.  Caribbean Star uses the same De Havilland Dash 8 aircraft BWIA has
phased out.  Yesterday, Williams said Caribbean Star's introduction into
the market two years ago forced BWIA to reconsider maintaining the Dash and
their pilots.
Williams said fares in the Caribbean became so low that it was more
profitable for BWIA to use its alliance with Liat to serve the lighter
Caribbean routes.  This left BWIA's Dash 8 pilots looking for employment.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/