Re: How much would you pay for a simple button?

Bahadir Acuner <bahadiracuner@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Don't shoot the messenger Jon :) I don't think this idea will fly..
>The only thing this will do that the airplane will be under positive
>radar contact with information on flight level, speed, etc.
>But if you ask me, this won't fly.. and I hope it won't...

Bahadir,
   All that is required by the proposed change is a one-button
selection of an emergency transponder code, and that once activated,
it cannot be switched off while airborne. It makes it more likely
that 7500 can be activated when necessary so that ATC is alerted
earlier than otherwise might be the case.
   I think this makes great sense. It is fairly cheap and only
adds to the convenience for the crew. So why not?
   In fact, modern all-push-button transponders should have
dedicated buttons for all special codes (1200, 7500, 7600, 7700
etc) anyway. Makes life much easier.
                             Kees de Lezenne Coulander
-- =

  C.M. de Lezenne Coulander
  Aircraft Development and Systems Engineering B.V.
  Hoofddorp, The Netherlands

 =