MD717 Otra Vez

In a message dated 1/22/03 6:41:05 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
dplaflamme@alumni.nd.edu writes:

> How much credibility did Airtran gain for so visibly buying new planes?
> "We're not ValuJet; we've got brand new planes, planes so new almost no one
> else has them!" I have no idea if Airtran is getting the performance they
> expected from the MD-95, but I doubt it matters nearly as much as the
> prestige they got for being a launch
> customer.

Granted those MD-95s...er B717s...are new, but they sure bear a strong
resemblence to the ancient DC-9s Valujet was flying.  If their objective was
to break from the spotty past, then a B737 or (heaven's forbid) a A320 would
have made a more dramatic statement!  Howsomeover the B717 works very well
for AirTran and this carrier knows how to make money in a crappy economy.

RT Simpson
Phoenix