Re: Wired: Judge to Hear Air ID Challenge

First, "checking passports" doesn't apply to domestic air travel.

I agree with part of Mr. Gilmore's beef. I maintain that the ID checking
rigmarole does nothing to improve air safety. First, does anyone really
believe that someone sophisticated enough to hatch a terrorist plot can't
come up with a fake ID? Second, I do believe that requiring me to provide ID
erodes my ability to travel freely and, if I choose, anonymously. Where I
disagree with Mr. Gilmore is on the searching issue. In-depth searches of
passengers would provide more real security than the mere fact that they
possess a driver's license. However, I think the scope of the search ought
to be limited to legitimate threats to the airplane--my stash or bundles of
cash or porno or whatever I happen to be traveling with shouldn't be subject
to the jurisdiction of the TSA. If I wanted to travel truly anonymously,
submitting a thorough search seems like a reasonable compromise.

The only reason the ID checks persist is that it suits the airlines--they
prevent people from switching discount tickets at the last minute. Nobody
for a moment believes that checking a driver's license makes air travel in
the U.S. safer, do they? And the price--eroding civil liberties--is still
too high. And I believe it would be too high even if checking ID did
actually accomplish something.

--
Jon Wright
voice: 425-635-0338