NYTimes.com Article: Delta Air Posts Loss, but Beats Estimates

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

Delta Air Posts Loss, but Beats Estimates

January 16, 2003
By REUTERS

Filed at 2:43 p.m. ET

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL.N) on
Thursday reported a quarterly loss that was nearly halved
from a year ago, but it does not see a return to
profitability this year as demand for air travel remains
weak.

Delta, the third-largest U.S. airline, reported a $363
million loss in the fourth quarter as major U.S. carriers
continued to suffer from a historic travel downturn that
has kept airfares cheap nationwide.

Like Continental Airlines (CAL.N), which kicked off the
airlines' reporting season with a narrower-than-expected
loss on Wednesday, Delta beat Wall Street estimates.

Analysts said that was mostly due to good holiday air
traffic in December.

But the outlook is far from rosy. U.S. airlines are still
in the midst of the worst financial crisis they have ever
faced, racking up a total industry loss of about $8 billion
to $10 billion in 2002.

``As we said, we've projected a loss for the upcoming
quarter,'' Chief Executive Leo Mullin said on a conference
call with analysts and media. ``I would add that there is
an expectation here at Delta that we would have a loss for
the year, I think most of you would anticipate that.''

Delta is trying to do a number of things to cope with the
downturn. One is to use many more regional jets in 2003.

LOW-FARE LOVE-IN

After studying its competition,
Atlanta-based Delta also is planning to launch a low-fare
carrier to battle Southwest Airlines Inc. (LUV.N), JetBlue
Airways Corp. (JBLU.O) and AirTran Holdings Inc. (AAI.N).
Bankrupt United Airlines, a unit of UAL Corp. (UAL.N), is
also planning some sort of low-fare initiative as fewer
passengers are willing to pay for high-priced tickets.

United, the world's second-largest airline, filed for
bankruptcy on Dec. 9 because it could not pay its debts,
following smaller US Airways Group Inc.'s (UAWGQ.OB)
similar move in August.

Delta said its loss per share was $2.98 in the fourth
quarter. That compared with a loss of $5.98 per share, or
$734 million, in the year-earlier quarter just after the
Sept. 11, 2001, attacks slashed the demand for travel.
Revenue rose to $3.31 billion in the quarter from $2.86
billion previously.

Shares of Delta rose slightly in Thursday afternoon trading
on the New York Stock Exchange, gaining 11 cents to $12.86.

The airline will be cutting another 8,000 jobs by May 1,
about half through layoffs, to cope with weak revenue and
losses. Once those job cuts are complete, Delta will have
cut its work force by about 16,000 people, or 20 percent,
since the attacks.

On an operating basis, Delta posted a loss of $230 million
or $1.90 per share. Analysts' mean estimate was for a loss
of $2.30 a share for the quarter and a loss of $8.28 per
share for 2002, according to market research firm Thomson
First Call.

``As was the case for Continental, the quarter ended well
for Delta on strong holiday traffic,'' said JP Morgan
analyst Jamie Baker. He noted that Delta's revenue rose
more than he expected in the quarter, up 15 percent.
Continental on Wednesday posted a fourth-quarter net loss
of $109 million.

``2002 was a very difficult year that ended on a high
note,'' Baker added. ``That doesn't necessarily bode well
for 2003.''

Ray Neidl, an analyst at Blaylock & Partners, has a hold
rating on Delta. ``Even at Delta's current low stock price,
near bankruptcy levels, we maintain our hold rating,'' he
said. ``We do not see any sustained stock price rally until
profitability returns. But we also see no major immediate
threat of default, which would drive down the stock price
further.''

BIG SHORTFALLS

Like most major U.S. airlines, Delta is suffering what it
has called ``unsustainable losses'' more than a year after
hijackers took over four commercial jetliners, crashing two
of them into the World Trade Center and a third into the
Pentagon, killing about 3,000 people. Delta's net loss for
the full year 2002 was $1.33 billion or $10.44 per share.

The airline took a larger-than-expected pension-related
charge of $1.6 billion in the fourth quarter but had
positive cash flow from operations of $177 million.

Even after paying for non-aircraft items, Delta said its
cash flow was ``slightly positive'' for the quarter, and it
ended up with cash and short-term liquidity of $2.6
billion, of which $2.0 billion was unrestricted.

Delta said the pension charge was bigger than the $700
million to $800 million it anticipated because of lower
interest rates and pension plan asset values since its
original estimate.

Delta's share price fell nearly 60 percent in 2002 as a
modest industry rebound early in the year had dissipated by
April.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/business/business-airlines-delta-earns.html?ex=1043752274&ei=1&en=debb52becf801176

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company