Re: Virgin Blue to buy up to 50 Boeing planes

At 07:25 PM 1/15/2003 -0500, Roger quoted a Reuters story:
>Virgin Blue to buy up to 50 Boeing planes

Another version of the story (I found it on Washingtonpost.com; I'm sure
it's in all the usual places) mentions that the first delivery will be in
August and that there will be seven by Christmas. Does anyone know if these
are new builds, planes already built, or planes already scheduled for
another customer who cancelled or deferred them?

The lead time seems short for new builds, and the last three of the first
ten will be delivered over the following eight months, a much slower pace
compared to seven in four or five months. That makes me think that one or
more customers had exactly seven in queue for '03 deliveries that they've
since lost interest in.

Of course, I'm about as accurate on airline delivery cycles as the popular
media is on crash causes in the first six hours after a crash. :-)

Nick