NYTimes.com Article: At United, a Seeker of Solutions

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

At United, a Seeker of Solutions

January 5, 2003
By MICHELINE MAYNARD

THE job of chief corporate strategist is an ulcer-inducing
occupation at most any airline these days. For Douglas A.
Hacker, it may be even worse. He was hired to map out a
future for United Airlines just two days after the company
filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection early last
month.

Mr. Hacker, 47, is charged with charting United's course as
it tries to emerge from bankruptcy. He will decide the
routes, aircraft, customer services and other methods that
United, the world's second-largest airline after American,
will use in trying to regain financial health.

If that isn't enough responsibility, until United hires a
marketing executive, he's filling that job, too.

"My participation in the process is really to point toward
the exit from bankruptcy and articulate the exit strategy
and work the exit plan," Mr. Hacker said in a recent
interview.

Before he was chosen as United's executive vice president
for corporate strategy, Mr. Hacker had been acting
informally for months as a corporate strategist, as a close
adviser to the airline's chief executive, Glenn F. Tilton.

In a meeting on Mr. Tilton's first day as chief executive
last September, Mr. Hacker - who was United's chief
financial officer from 1993 to 2000, when he was selected
to run a United subsidiary - gave his new boss a short
paper on industry competitiveness. Two days later, Mr.
Tilton, an oil industry executive with no background in the
airline business, asked for another memorandum, then
another.

Soon Mr. Hacker was writing reports regularly for Mr.
Tilton on various industry topics; the two men called them
homework assignments.

"As we got together and talked about the challenges," Mr.
Hacker said, "it was clear that I could be a valuable
resource."

One reason, he said, was the two years he spent off to the
side of the parent airline. In the fall of 2000, Mr. Hacker
was named president of United Loyalty Services, a
collection of company units that included United's
frequent-flier program, some e-commerce ventures and other
investments. He was, for example, United's point man in the
creation of Orbitz.com, the Web site founded by major
airlines to compete with other sites offering discount
fares.

Mr. Hacker said his two years at United Loyalty let him see
opportunities, which he calls "white space," and pursue
them. But his departure from United's senior ranks made
some industry watchers wonder if he was being shoved aside
to promote Frederic F. Brace III, the current chief
financial officer. The two executives, who joined United
after working together at American Airlines, denied that
there was any such move, and they remain close associates.
Likewise, United officials said Mr. Hacker's new job is not
a sign that he may ultimately replace Mr. Brace, whom some
analysts and competing airline executives have blamed in
part for United's dire situation.

But Mr. Hacker has returned from an exile of sorts, his
Elba being an office building on the very northern tip of
Chicago, 20 miles from United's headquarters in Elk Grove
Township, Ill. He has since moved back to the home office,
in temporary quarters. There he sits squarely in the middle
of the crisis at United, which like other airlines was
already hurting before the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, in
which it lost two planes.

He is already planning his first big move: the creation
within United of a low-fare airline to compete with
Southwest Airlines and JetBlue. United hasn't said when it
plans to start the airline, or what type of planes it will
use. But Mr. Hacker envisions a separate operation with
lower labor costs, aimed at leisure travelers whose
priority is low price, while the parent airline remains
roughly as it is, relying largely on business travelers
still interested in perks like frequent-flier miles and the
opportunity for upgrades.

"We want to leverage the United brand as much as possible,"
Mr. Hacker said. "This is not about the shrinking of the
brand."

As such, he is defying conventional wisdom in the industry,
which says United must become far leaner and much smaller
to survive. "We don't argue with a little smaller, but we
think we've got a shot at being No. 1 or No. 2 in
relevance," he said, referring to importance to customers.
"We've been jockeying back and forth with American in terms
of brand relevance for a long time now."

Mr. Hacker has an intimate understanding of American
Airlines, having begun his airline career there after
graduating from Harvard Business School in 1980. He chose
the industry while in graduate school, when he and a team
of classmates collaborated on an industry study for Frank
Lorenzo, the founder of the Texas Air Group, whose
cost-cutting and clashes with unions were legendary.

The experience taught him that "the industry is fun, and I
sure never wanted to work for Frank Lorenzo," Mr. Hacker
said, chuckling. Instead, he was hired at American by
Michael J. Durham, then a corporate finance executive who
became president of Sabre Inc., American's electronic
reservation system, which has since been spun off as a
separate company.

Mr. Durham, now a consultant, calls Mr. Hacker a "very,
very thorough thinker" who joined him on many trips
overseas in search of financing for American's growth push
in the 1980's. "Our challenge was to finance very heavy
capital expenditure programs for a company that had a
pretty weak debt rating and not particularly broad access
to capital markets," Mr. Durham said. "We were forced to do
a lot of creative and interesting financing."

Mr. Hacker rose to treasurer at American and spent a year
outside the industry before joining United in 1994. He and
his wife, Linda, a former banker, have a son, Andrew, 12.
Mr. Hacker is a fanatic golfer and avid fly fisherman, his
friends say.

No matter what action he recommends for the airline,
analysts agree that he must act swiftly. "These guys are
losing their shirts already," said Robert W. Mann Jr., an
industry consultant in Port Washington, N.Y. "What's in
this new plan that's going to be better for them than what
they had before?"

He isn't sure that Mr. Hacker's insistence on preserving
United's traditional business travel model, even when
accompanied by a low-fare airline, will work when corporate
travel departments are pinching pennies.

"I don't think business travelers are ever going to go back
to what they used to do," Mr. Mann said.

Sandy Rederer, an industry consultant who has known Mr.
Hacker since he was at American, said he feared that Mr.
Hacker might be wasting his time starting the low-fare
venture when United needs so much attention. Last week,
United, which must meet lenders' terms by Feb. 15, warned
employees to expect significant layoffs.

"I don't see any motivation for United to waste resources
on a new operation that they don't really need," said Mr.
Rederer, president of Aviation Planning and Finance in
Arlington, Va.

"I'd try to get the costs down as much as possible at the
mainline airline and continue to do what the airline has
done for many years" - to offer various classes of service
based on what customers are willing to pay, he added.

Although acknowledging the various points of view, Mr.
Hacker said United could not survive only in its existing
form, as the parent and its commuter airline, United
Express. He said the low-fare airline is necessary to
propel United back to profitability for the first time
since 1999. "Everybody understands the need to have a
product like this," he said.

But whatever vision he creates for United, he said, it's
not likely to look like the world of 2000. "There aren't
people who are willing to pay those big numbers to fly out
to meet venture capitalists and start their dream
company."

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/05/business/yourmoney/05PROF.html?ex=1042867922&ei=1&en=20b770b8c721a697

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company