Fliers shelling out more for upgrades

By Barbara De Lollis, USA TODAY

Some business travelers expect to pay more out of their own pocket next=20
year to upgrade into first class. That's because several carriers are=20
raising the cost of upgrades for elite-level fliers.On May 1, Delta Air=20
Lines is raising the price of vouchers to $160 from $120 for four vouchers=
=20
and decreasing their value to 500 miles from 800 miles.In January, American=
=20
Airlines raises the price of its 500-mile vouchers from $31.25 each for=20
eight or more to $40 or $50 each, depending on where they are bought.United=
=20
Airlines in October raised the price of upgrades =97 the first increase=
 since=20
1996 =97 by 60%, to $200 for four 500-mile vouchers from $125.

For Portland, Ore.-based computer consultant Marc Belsher, the Delta=20
changes mean he'll have to pay more than twice as much to upgrade on his=20
2,180-mile flight to Atlanta. Not only will he have to buy more vouchers,=20
but he'll also have to pay more for each of them. Under the new program, he=
=20
figures he'll have to pay $200 instead of $90 each way."It's going to hurt=
=20
a lot," Belsher says. "That comes out of my own pocket, (but) my life is on=
=20
the road." Getting occasional upgrades and "enjoying a little bit more=20
privilege" help make that life more pleasurable, he says.Delta says it's=20
charging more to reflect the demand for upgrades, especially with capacity=
=20
down 15%.

"We think that a first-class seat or premium-cabin seat has a value, and=20
right now it's not reflected in our program," says Delta spokesman John=20
Kennedy.Upgrade coupons are popular with frequent fliers because many=20
businesses ban or restrict the purchase of first-class tickets but will=20
sometimes reimburse for upgrades.Upgrade fees can be a big moneymaker for=20
major carriers at a time when they are losing record amounts of money.Most=
=20
have the fees, although Continental and Northwest give their elite members=
=20
free upgrades.Matthew Bennett, publisher of First Class Flyer newsletter,=20
says business travelers can't expect to have it all =97 cheap fares, easy=20
upgrades and healthy airlines."The American consumer is spoiled," Bennett=20
says. "They can't have everything."

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(TnT News) http://www.tntmirror.com/
(TnT News)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt