=20
 To view the entire article, go to http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/art=
icles/A61975-2002Dec16.html
=20
 Union: United Lenders Demand Labor Cuts
=20
 By Dave CarpenterCHICAGO ––  The lenders that are enabling Unite=
d Airlines to keep flying during bankruptcy are requiring the carrier to sl=
ash annual labor costs by $2.4 billion in the next two months, according to=
 its flight attendants' union.<P>That total would more than double the appr=
oximately $1 billion in yearly cuts that unions agreed to this fall as part=
 of its failed bid for a $1.8 billion government loan guarantee.<P>United s=
pokesman Joe Hopkins said Monday the airline had no comment on the cost-cut=
ting process.<P>But the Association of Flight Attendants told its members t=
hat United management informed negotiators for the airline's unions on Frid=
ay that the restructuring plan calls for $2.4 billion in labor savings.<P>"=
Those cost reductions must be secured by mid-February," the union said in t=
he update on its Web site, posted late Friday. "Thus, things will happen ve=
ry fast."<P>Spokesman for the flight attendants' and Machinists' unions did=
 not immediately return phone calls Monday.<P>Pilots' union spokesman Steve=
 Derebey said his union was going over management's proposal but declined t=
o discuss it, saying the carrier's pilots themselves had not yet been told.=
<P>"Our financial and legal advisers are studying it," he said. "We'll be w=
orking with the company and our advisers to decide what to do about it."<P>=
United, the world's second-biggest airline, had warned in filing for Chapte=
r 11 bankruptcy protection on Dec. 10 that painful cuts were coming that wo=
uld go well beyond its previous financial recovery plan, which called for $=
5.2 billion in labor cutbacks by 2008. It must meet strict benchmark requir=
ements showing financial progress throughout bankruptcy or risk defaulting =
on its $1.5 billion in interim financing.<P>Mechanics, who rejected a tenta=
tive agreement for 7 percent pay cuts last month, are now being asked to ta=
ke 13 percent reductions, according to a communique that went out to its me=
mbers.<P>The company also has informed the union representing mechanics tha=
t it wants to revise the terms of health care plans and change work rules i=
n order to improve productivity and efficiency.<P>"United indicated that th=
eir proposal was a starting point for further discussions," Scotty Ford, pr=
esident of District 141-M of the International Association of Machinists an=
d Aerospace Workers, said in the communique on Saturday.<P>"District 141-M =
is now reviewing the term sheets with our financial and legal advisers. We =
also expect to discuss the proposed terms with the United Airlines union co=
alition."<P>Shares in United parent UAL Corp. fell 28 cents to $1.47 in lat=
e-morning trading on the New York Stock Exchange.<P>&#150;&#150;&#150;<P>On=
 the Net:<P>http://www.united.com<P>