TRIP REPORT: BOS-LGA-BOS (Saturday, December 14th)

AIRLINE:

Outbound

I have just returned from New York. I flew down this
AM on the 8:30 Delta Shuttle. If I'm right, we used an
Airbus A320. It was great to fly on a big plane for a
change, versus those tiny Canadair Regional Jets.
The 3 across configuration worked just nicely.

The weather was rough. I hadn't had any breakfast and
the ride prevented the f/a from serving bagels. (They
gave them to us on the way off the plane) When we
landed, I was rolling a bit with the discomfort of
being jostled too much.

Arrival/Final Approach

Gloomly weather in LGA. Saw Air Canada's A319
"Trans-Canada" plane, Air Canada's A320 (standard
colors, probably heading for Toronto or Montreal), Air
Tran, US Airways' Airbus (strange how Delta got their
Buses, just after US Airways announced that they would
introduce the same on their Shuttle routes?) and
that's about it.  Bad weather and weekend, didn't net
up very much.

Our final approach into LGA seemed to be very fast and
pretty low. But after leaving the airport on the New
York Airport Shuttle bus, I saw an American MD-80
coming in the same way. When we hit the runway, it
seemed very fast and I felt a slight swerving on the
front nose gear that might have been done by the pilot
deliberately, just to test his handling on the
aircraft on the runway. Much like pedestrians check
out the sidewalk when they suspect glare ice.

Delta Shuttle Gate Area

I was thrilled to see a mini library of business and
leisure magazines waiting for me and some PC's running
Bloomberg stock quotes.  (For a Saturday, the place
seemed tame. I know the place has to be hopping during
the week.)

I was a bit disapointed with the terminal design. For
a reason I couldn't put my finger on, the decor seemed
to say: "temporary." And after looking at a sign on an
emergency exit stated 'construction area' I guess I
had my answer. For business travelers, I just expected
the Ritz!

La Guardia Rotuna Terminal

The Delta Shuttle terminal empties into a florescant
green rotunda that must be as old as the former Mayor
La Guardia. Its design says "1940's forever" to me.
Perhaps they'll change it soon.

Connections to Manhattan

Fortune was with me today. I wanted to come into the
City and enjoy the Christmas atmosphere. Everything
supported that. As soon as I stepped outside the dated
terminal, a motorcoach was waiting and I got the last
seat. (BTW $17.00 round trip or $10.00 one-way to
Grand Centeral or the Port Authority)

Hadn't been to the City since 1997. Enjoyed the
electronic Christmas caroling, Aida (the new Elton
John-Time Rice musical in Times Square), lunch at the
Marriot Marquis, and just walking around -- despite
the rain, New York City is a great place to be!

Going Home

My trip back was roughly the exact reverse of going.
Again, traveling on the weekend makes for easy
connections. It was just a 20 minute ride to LGA via
the Tunnel and some bumpy highway.  My first stop was
my terminal. Check-in was a breeze.

They told us that the weather conditions up to Boston
prohibited serving in-flight food service and that
they'd pass out a snack and water on the way in.  They
strongly encouraged everyone to use the facilities as
no standees would be allowed. The departing flight for
Washington Reagan Airport, they said passengers found
standing, the plane would return to LaGuardia or
Washington, implying those caught would be in trouble.
I had taken care of that issue on the way in after
getting off the bus. BTW, I ate the cafeteria in off
the rotunda. Not bad, but again for Delta's business
elite, I thought they'd get better.

En Route

Surprising, the trip was relativly smooth, except for
some bumps over Hartford. Our route, according to the
screen, seem to follow just south of Hartford and then
before you know it, we were turning around Providence
and got landing clearance about 15 minutes prior to
touchdown.

Final Comments

Good trip, although I miss flying into JFK and
catching any international traffic. (particularly
during the evening! Gone, and very much missed, from
Kennedy and LGA, is our beloved TWA)

And that's it!

Mike Burris
Cambridge, Massachusetts