FW: ATA flight schedule changes

My girlfriend is headed SFO-BOS on ATA this Friday.  They just called to
tell her that there has been a schedule change on ATA and will cause her
to have about a eight hour layover at MDW.  ATA is telling her that
there is no way they can get her on another flight.

Can anyone point me to the DOT rules on flights changing from the
airline as opposed to an "act of god."  I know that they will change
their tune as soon as I can bring up the government rules on the issue.

Thanks in advance,
tyler