NYTimes.com Article: United and Unions Discuss Changes

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

United and Unions Discuss Changes

December 13, 2002
By EDWARD WONG

CHICAGO, Dec. 12 - United Airlines executives and union
leaders met today for the first time since United filed for
bankruptcy protection to discuss how the airline will be
revamped, a process that is certain to include wage and
benefit cuts for employees.

United has to cut labor costs quickly because of
stipulations attached to the $1.5 billion in financing it
received from lenders to help it keep operating under
Chapter 11. If United does not achieve the cost cuts, then
the lenders can withdraw their backing.

But executives at United, a unit of the UAL Corporation,
did not put specific figures related to concessions on the
table today, company and union officials said.

"We think the meeting went well," said Rich Nelson, a
United spokesman. "As we had said we would, we presented an
overview of our business plan and gave presentations on our
current financial condition."

In the month before its bankruptcy filing, United had
reached tentative agreements with its unions for $5.2
billion in concessions over five and a half years. But
those agreements were voided because the mechanics rejected
their $700 million portion of the concessions, and United
did not get a $1.8 billion federal loan guarantee.

Now that United is in bankruptcy court, industry experts
say much deeper labor cuts are needed to keep the airline
operating.

"They recognized outside of bankruptcy that we're already
at an average compensation rate in the industry," said Sara
Dela Cruz, a spokeswoman for the flight attendants' union.
"We would expect them to recognize that inside bankruptcy
as well. We tried so hard to stay out because we knew they
would ask for more inside."

The pilots' union, which had agreed to give up $2.2 billion
as part of the $5.2 billion package, said it did not want
to comment on specifics on the talks. But its
representative on the UAL board did say that the pilots
were open to the idea of starting another low-cost airline
within the company. Glenn F. Tilton, United's chief
executive, said this week that United might try to run a
low-cost airline again, even though a previous venture in
California, Shuttle by United, lost money.

"As part of our commitment to work collaboratively with
United to restructure the company and forge a competitive
offering in the industry, we're open to the idea of a
shuttle, and we'll evaluate the opportunities this concept
presents," Paul Whiteford, the pilots' representative on
the board, said today in a statement.

The company, which is 55 percent employee-owned, has two
union representatives on its board.

The labor groups are also expected to seek representation
on the creditors' committee, which will be formed on Friday
by a federal trustee. Creditors will meet that afternoon in
a hotel in downtown Chicago for the selection process.
There will be a committee with about a dozen unsecured
creditors; other committees representing other kinds of
creditors may be formed as well.

"You want diversity among the creditor body," said Jonathan
Rosenthal, an executive at Saybrook Capital, which hopes to
be retained as a financial adviser for the creditors'
committee. "If you just loaded up with institutional, large
creditors, you don't have the diversity."

But some creditors are wary of the potential committee
makeup, especially if workers' groups are on it.

Trying to appease its customers, United said today that it
would not begin charging $100 for passengers to fly standby
next year, a move it had announced in September.

Another airline in bankruptcy protection, US Airways,
received some leeway today on its schedule for revamping.

A bankruptcy judge in Alexandria, Va., said he would allow
the company to file a reorganization plan by Jan. 31 rather
than Dec. 20. US Airways is working to obtain $200 million
in concessions from its unions to secure a $900 million
federal loan guarantee before that filing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/13/business/13AIR.html?ex=1040799147&ei=1&en=4f0266835444207c

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company