BWIA to cut more jobs

By Orion Ganase
T'dad Express

National airline BWIA will continue to look at cutting more jobs to reduce
operating costs. Chief executive officer Conrad Aleong admitted yesterday
that: "When you are trying to save money, you've got to find the solutions.
And we are finding some areas where we can save cash, if we can do without
those particular positions. So we are doing what we can, as we find
positions we will continue to do so." His announcement followed the recent
separation of several managers at the cash strapped airline. Aleong
estimated that about eight managers had been replaced. BWIA has to save
US$1.4 million a month to qualify for financial assistance from the
Government.  The airline has not received all the labour concessions it
wanted. Speaking at the unveiling of the airline's new Boeing 737-800
aircraft, Aleong said management tried to get voluntary employee savings
but was now "forced to find solutions". "We've tried to make it voluntary
and we're still working hard on making it voluntary," he said. He pointed
to the example of United Airlines, whose employees failed to meet savings
targets set by the CEO. "(United Airlines) tried for months and months just
to end up in Chapter 11 (bankruptcy protection) just because the employees
did not give enough," he said. Jagroop Jagdeo, of CATTU, one of the
airline's unions, said employee morale was low because they had been
hearing of job cuts for a long time. The addition of the new 737-800 will
complete the narrow body fleet for BWIA and is the latest move in the
company's fleet simplification drive. "This is where we set out to fix the
airline after 9/11," said Aleong.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(TnT News) http://www.tntmirror.com/
(TnT News)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt