Feds pull almost 600 security clearances at O'Hare

Feds pull almost 600 security clearances at O'Hare

CHICAGO (AP) =97 Twenty-five Chicago airport workers have been charged with=
=20
criminal violations, and the security clearances of 553 others have been=20
canceled in a crackdown on airport workers using fake IDs, officials=20
announced Tuesday. The arrests and canceling of security clearances were=20
part of a nationwide sweep dubbed Operation Tarmac designed to shore up=20
airport security in the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks and make sabotaging=20
planes more difficult for terrorists. U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald told=
=20
a news conference the action was designed to boost security at O'Hare=20
International and Midway Airports "by removing serious felons with unknown=
=20
or questionable identities." "If we are serious about airport security ...=
=20
we have to know that the people who are given access to secure areas are=20
trustworthy," he said. But Fitzgerald said the government has not found=20
members of Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda terrorist network working at O'Hare=20
and Midway. Those arrested include ramp agents, truck drivers, members of=20
cleaning crews, a baggage handler, an airline cabin service attendant and a=
=20
number of food service workers, most with Hispanic names.

The Illinois Coalition for Immigration and Refugee Rights immediately=20
issued a statement saying the federal crackdown "only further criminalizes=
=20
immigrants who work hard and pay taxes and are only trying to make a living=
=20
and support themselves and their families." "It is time for the Bush=20
Administration to make good on its pre-Sept. 11 call for an earned=20
legalization of hardworking, undocumented immigrants and stop treating food=
=20
service workers, gate agents, bus boys and nannies as if they were=20
potential terrorists," the organization said. Fitzgerald took sharp issue=20
with any suggestion that the government might be treating illegal=20
immigrants or anyone else in unfair fashion. "We're not picking on anyone,"=
=20
Fitzgerald said. "If you're going to work in an airport where we have to be=
=20
secure, we're not going to stop and wand and search people, including you=20
and I and everyone else, and let other people walk through who have prior=20
convictions." "Some people have convictions for drug offenses and they want=
=20
to work in a secure area in an airport," he said. "We can't tolerate that."=
=20
Six of those arrested were charged with making false statements about=20
previous criminal records =97 four for drug offenses, one for burglary and=
=20
another for robbery, federal officials said. Sixteen were charged with=20
using bogus Social Security numbers and three with re-entering the country=
=20
after they had been deported.

Fitzgerald said the 553 whose clearances were lifted had raised the=20
suspicions of federal officials but were still under investigation. Such=20
employees need security badges to gain unescorted access to tarmacs,=20
airplanes and other security-sensitive spots where their jobs would=20
normally take them. Fitzgerald said that when they arrive at work they will=
=20
find their badges no longer are valid. Asked if the number of individuals=20
charged in Chicago appeared low in comparison to those charged in other=20
cities, Fitzgerald said that might be the case. But he said that after the=
=20
553 other cases are thoroughly investigated, the number of those charged in=
=20
Chicago could be higher.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(TnT News) http://www.tntmirror.com/
(TnT News)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt