NYTimes.com Article: United's Plight Sends Shivers Through Chicago

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

United's Plight Sends Shivers Through Chicago

December 6, 2002
By JOHN W. FOUNTAIN

CHICAGO, Dec. 5 - As United Airlines hurtled toward an
expected bankruptcy filing, workers, travelers and elected
officials here, the airline's hometown, were left with many
questions today.

The worry was not just over the fate of United, the world's
second- largest carrier, but also over the fate of the
airline's workers, the Chicago economy and the future of
air service.

"If United goes bankrupt, think of all the people that are
going to be unemployed," Justin Duberman, 32, a hockey
agent on his way home to Boston, said as he stood in a
United check-in line at O'Hare International Airport this
morning. "To be honest, I don't know enough about what's
going on behind closed doors about the situation. I just
hope my flight leaves today."

Mr. Duberman said the possibility of the airline's filing
for bankruptcy protection had also left him wondering about
frequent-flier miles. "I'm really concerned about that,
actually," he said. "You get to a certain point where you
just have so many."

For workers, there were more pressing concerns.

"Everybody's worried," said a United employee who has been
with the airline as a ramp service worker at O'Hare for
five years. "I tell these young guys, `Have a background.'
I have a business degree. If I leave here, I figure I can
find another job."

The employee, who insisted on anonymity, said: "A lot of
people bought cars, homes and everything else, and now
they've got to worry about how they are going to pay for
all that. I'm very disenchanted about this company."

The news today that a federal panel had said that United's
business plan was "not financially sound" and that
government assistance in the form of $1.8 billion in loan
guarantees would not solve the airline's competitive
problems came as a blow to city and state officials, who
had lobbied on behalf of the loan guarantees. But some,
including Mayor Richard M. Daley, remained hopeful.

In a statement today, Mayor Daley said: "The Airline
Transportation Stabilization Board's decision to deny the
$1.8 billion loan application of United Airlines is a
disappointment and a blow to United and its employees, who
have contributed to Chicago's development as a world-class
aviation center.

"United has been an excellent corporate citizen in the
Chicago community. We are hopeful that they will long
continue to provide first-rate service for the nation's air
travelers. I am confident that Chicago will remain the
center of transportation and aviation for the nation and
indeed the world."

Earlier this week, in hopes of helping to strengthen
United's case, Gov. George Ryan of Illinois said he
supported a plan for the state to sell $200 million in
bonds to help the airline.

Today, Dennis Culloton, a spokesman for Governor Ryan,
called Wednesday's decision by the Air Transportation
Stabilization Board "very disappointing."

"We thought that we were sending a strong message to
Washington that this was important to our community and we
were working in Springfield to try to provide additional
support - to put our money where our mouth is," Mr.
Culloton said.

"At this point we've been in contact with United and we've
told them that the governor is ready and willing to do
whatever we can to continue to support United Airlines. We
know that United is busy assessing the situation and
determining its next steps. But we continue to be
foursquare behind United."

"There's some comfort," he added "in the fact that
operations are continuing at United as they go through this
difficult period."

On Tuesday, United announced plans to lay off 352 pilots
within the next three months, reducing the total to about
8,250. The airline also said it planned to cut senior
management ranks by 18 percent, to 36 senior managers. Some
workers fear that more layoffs - and the airline's filing
for bankruptcy protection - are only a matter of time.

"It's pretty much inevitable now," said a pilot who has
worked with United more than 10 years. "For me, personally,
it probably will not be that much of an impact because of
my seniority. But some of the more junior guys are going to
lose their job."

Paul M. Green, a political scientist at Roosevelt
University, likened United - a hometown airline - to a
hometown sports team, and the rejection of United's loan
guarantee, to defeat.

"When you win you have a high," Mr. Green said. "When you
lose, you have a low. Obviously this one hits us in the
gut, because United has been associated with us for a long
time."

For Todd Lamb, a United passenger at O'Hare today, news of
United's troubles was still settling in.

"It actually kind of surprised me," said Mr. Lamb, 32, who
manages a hospital radiology department and was on his way
home to Minneapolis. "I have always thought that United's
business was pretty stable.

"Am I concerned about it?" Mr. Lamb added. "Yeah. It would
be really unfortunate in terms of competitive pricing. It's
a tough economy out there. I guess they've got to do what
they've got to do. Hopefully, they can make the changes and
get everything worked out."

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/06/business/06CHIC.html?ex=1040188671&ei=1&en=79c6c93a1b357f1e

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company