Re: No guns for our airline pilots ......

To think of the flight deck crew as purely "pilots" and not ultimately
responsible for the safe operation of the aircraft is naive. I recall being
taught to do everything humanely possible and work together thereby
maximizing the safe operation of an aircraft.  Used to be called Cockpit,
now Crew Resource Management.

The person in the left seat is the "aircraft commander" not just a pilot.
Suffice it to say, if the hijacker(s) have gotten as far as the cockpit,
then the ultimate weapon(s) of last resort is/are in the hands of the flight
deck crew. I agree that passengers will try to stop a hijacking.  But, I
believe the terrorists have learned from the September 11 hijackings, will
adapt their tactics accordingly, and pax may not be able to stop them from
taking command of the airplane. They will be more meticulous in their
planning and will not allow a repeat of United 93 to occur.

Pilots don't always like every aspect of their duty. That's why it's called
"duty." But it is their duty to safeguard the lives of passengers and crew
members entrusted to them. They don't have to carry a weapon on the flight
deck; but, they also don't have to fly the mission, either.

Personal feelings about guns and gun control issues have no place on the
flight deck. What needs to be on the flight deck is the proper attitude of
why the flight crew is there in the first place. Procedures for weapon
issuance and turn-in are not new. They can be adapted to specific country
laws (i.e. regulations for armed couriers).

I am willing to bet that a fairly high percentage of American and United Air
Lines pilots are willing to carry weapons on their aircraft to preclude the
aircraft being used as a weapon of mass destruction.

Best Wishes to all,
JCK
----