Shorter lines with new check-in system

Nation News - Sunday 24, November-2002

AIRLINE PASSENGERS in Barbados are the first to benefit from a new $11
million CUTE wireless check-in system at Grantley Adams International
Airport.  The system allows airlines to check in passengers from any
position, and was instituted last Thursday with Virgin Atlantic, American
Airlines and USAir being the first to process passengers.  CUTE, which
stands for Common User Terminal Equipment, was chosen specifically to
accommodate the refurbishment of the airport with as little disruption as
possible to airlines. In addition, it means tighter security and shorter
lines at check-in counters.  "We had a unique problem to solve in the
refurbishment of the airport. All counters will be refurbished. CUTE allows
us to shift airlines to new counter space. It will allow us to move the
airlines without having to tear up wiring. It is easier to move people
around," said Ian Best, senior systems  analyst with the airport expansion
project.

Airport deputy manager Nelson Kingsley yesterday said that over the years,
the airport had been faced with the challenge of filling space to
accommodate new carriers.  "When USAir came we had to make extensions to
the general layout of the airport to provide more counter space for
customers. Then we heard of the CUTE system. It should help us to maximise
space," he said.  The system also features a number of "readers" which will
be implemented at all gates to verify the identification and the boarding
passes of passengers.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(chgdev) http://www.chagdev.com/
(Chaguaramas Development Authority)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt