Re: DLs Low Cost

On Thursday, November 21, 2002, at 08:18  AM, Matthew Montano wrote:

> United-Lite was (I'm guessing here) simply sold as a "cheaper" United.
> Expectations for hub-n-spoke, re-routing, luggage connections, meals
> etc, were never tempered. Customer satisfaction is in the pits and it
> goes down hill from there.

Shuttle by United, later renamed United Shuttle, was a traveller's
nightmare.  The biggest problem was that the hub was SFO, and with
weather-related delays at that airport being a chronic problem, United
Shuttle was often faced with massive system-wide delays.  The employees
were under paid and it showed.

United Shuttle's biggest advantage was that as part of UA, miles could
be earned towards the Mileage Plus frequent flyer program.  As one
marketing campaign put it, "Their [Southwest's] frequent flyer program
can take you to Omaha.  Ours can take you to Osaka."  They also stressed
assigned seats (assigned at check in), first class, and a 6-part zone
boarding system, rather than Southwest's free-for-all.

Didn't work.

--
David Mueller / HNL
dmueller7@lycos.com