Boeing to cut 5,000 more jobs next year

SEATTLE (AP) =97 Boeing (BA) expects to eliminate 5,000 more jobs next year=
=20
in addition to the nearly 30,000 cuts the aerospace company has made since=
=20
the 2001 terrorist attacks, the company said Wednesday.  Half of the new=20
cuts would be made through attrition and the rest through layoffs in the=20
commercial airplane division, unit chief executive Alan Mulally said=20
Wednesday.  The company signaled more than a month ago that it will need to=
=20
make further cuts because of a long slump. Since the Sept. 11 terrorist=20
attacks, Boeing has deferred deliveries of more than 500 jets as airlines,=
=20
bleeding billions of dollars, canceled or rescheduled orders.  By the end=20
of 2003, the commercial planes division expects to have a workforce of=20
60,000, from its current 65,000, spokesman Bill Cogswell said. The first=20
layoff notices will go out on Friday, and take effect on Jan. 24, he said.

The company has spent the last few weeks trying to determine how many=20
people it will need in the coming year to match employment with production=
=20
levels, Cogswell said. The company expects to deliver between 275 and 285=20
jets in 2003, down from the 380 expected for this year.  Most of the new=20
reductions will come in the Puget Sound area, Cogswell said, where Boeing=20
builds its jetliners in factories in Everett and Renton.  The precise=20
number of layoffs depends on the company maintaining its typical 4% to 5%=20
attrition rate.  "We believe the employment reductions will impact all of=20
our areas, all of our employees, nonsalaried members and executives across=
=20
the board," said Cogswell.  Boeing is based in Chicago, and its commercial=
=20
plane division is based in Renton.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(chgdev) http://www.chagdev.com/
(Chaguaramas Development Authority)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt