NYTimes.com Article: The Lull Before the Storm for the Nation's Airports

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

The Lull Before the Storm for the Nation's Airports

November 19, 2002
By JOE SHARKEY

SALT LAKE CITY -- The impossible-to-meet Dec. 31 deadline
for screening all checked bags will largely be met, Adm.
James M. Loy told airport executives here last week.
Listening to the retired admiral, who is the acting under
secretary of transportation for security, I recalled an old
saying from my distant Navy days:

Stand by for heavy rolls. On a ship, it means get ready to
rock, because we're heading into rough seas. This is not
bad advice now for business travelers, who have mostly made
their peace with the airport experience over the last year.
Come New Year's Day, when every checked bag is officially
required to be examined for explosives, certain adjustments
in that stance may become necessary.

"I am well aware of the concerns raised by some airport
operators that pressing forward with the Dec. 31 deadline
will result in unacceptable delays for airline passengers
and added costs for airports," Admiral Loy said. "However,
I must balance the concerns of the airport operators with
the very real security concerns that our enemies so
effectively brought to our attention." He added, "I don't,
and I won't, support a wholesale delay in the Dec. 31
deadline."

Admiral Loy happens to be retired from the Coast Guard, not
the Navy. This recalls another Navy saying, which is that
Coast Guard officers are required to be at least six feet
tall, so that they can walk to shore if their ships go
down. But that's beside the point in rough seas. In July,
when the admiral took over and rallied a badly flagging
Transportation Security Administration - and I promise to
give a rest now to the naval allusions - his orders were
full speed ahead.

Meanwhile, officials at the T.S.A., which celebrates its
first birthday today, are high-fiving one another this
week, and with some justification. "Much to the surprise of
many skeptics," as Admiral Loy put it, the agency has
managed to hire and train more than 44,000 federal airport
screeners, who are now working checkpoints at all 429
commercial airports in the United States.

The airport security work force, once extremely low paid
and inadequately trained by private contractors who ran the
checkpoints until last year, now consists entirely of
federal employees making a living wage - $25,000 to $35,000
a year, with benefits. Every frequent traveler I know
agrees that the employees at airport security, where
sullenness and outright rudeness once were common, are now
overwhelmingly professional and courteous.

That's made a huge difference to business travelers, even
though security-screening procedures themselves can still
seem idiotic. Especially that computerized secondary
gate-screening system, which uses mystical Harry
Potter-like formulas that often select the least-suspicious
passengers, including harried business travelers flying on
complicated itineraries, to be pulled aside for that
irritating additional perp pat-down and bag check while
everyone else is boarding the plane.

At the Airports Council International-North America
conference here last week, Admiral Loy and other federal
officials spoke forcefully about the need to balance
stringent security requirements, like as the Dec. 31
bag-screening deadline, with customer-service imperatives
like allaying the resentment of business travelers about
the so-called security hassle factor. Airlines say this has
cost billions this year in lost ticket revenue, as some
business travelers simply choose not to go.

Right now, during a traditionally slow period for travel,
airports by and large are running fairly smoothly, the
occasional security alarm aside. I've been traveling a lot
over the last month, and the two major impressions I have
about airport security are shorter lines with fewer
problems and large numbers of white-shirted T.S.A. agents
clustered around checkpoints with little to do. (This
impression, incidentally, gives legs to the wisecrack
currently being passed among business travelers that the
acronym T.S.A. in fact stands for "Thousands Standing
Around.")

But don't get used to the calm.

Business travelers looking ahead to trips this winter need
to be prepared for some rougher times, several airport
managers said, though Admiral Loy switched gears and said
yesterday that the bag-screening deadline would not be
strictly enforced at about a dozen big airports. Many other
airport managers are now frantically trying to jury-rig a
bag-screening system that will enable them and the T.S.A.
to declare victory come Jan. 1 without at the same time
bringing air travel to a virtual standstill.

Starting Jan. 1, travelers will most likely encounter a
baggage processing minefield, airport managers warn. About
1,100 of the eight-ton, S.U.V.-size explosive-detection
scanning machines are supposed to be installed at airports
(out of an estimated 6,000 that are needed). At best, these
machines process 150 to 200 bags an hour, and flag 25 to 30
percent of those bags as false positives. Flagged bags then
have to be opened and examined by hand.

Supplementing the big machines will be about 6,000
table-top trace-detection devices, which require a screener
to run a heated swab over a bag. When these machines were
used on carry-on bags during the Olympics Games here last
winter, processing time averaged 47 seconds a bag,
according to a study by the Public Policy Institute of the
libertarian Reason Foundation.

Bags that the machines can't get to are likely to be opened
and spot-checked by security employees. Airport managers
say they don't have a clue yet how they're going to handle
the inevitable pilferage problems when thousands of
employees are given luggage-room access to passengers'
belongings.

So, many airport executives are braced for chaos. But most
remain cautiously confident that, as Admiral Loy appeared
to signal yesterday, the T.S.A. will help them figure out a
way to control the damage and introduce flexible interim
solutions to total baggage screening if the system does
start breaking down in January. About 650 million
passengers will pass though domestic airports this year,
many of them checking at least one bag. The math is
daunting, but a degree of optimism still prevails.

"The thinking is, If we don't get it right the first time
around, we can come back after an interval and then perfect
it," said Steven D. Van Beek, the senior vice president for
policy at the airports council. But he wasn't making any
predictions on when perfection might arrive.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/19/business/19ROAD.html?ex=1038722814&ei=1&en=ef0a4ef11dacf20d

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company