Re: SF Gate: Too early not much better than too late for air tickets

Subject: SF Gate: Too early not much better than too late for air tickets
<snip>
>    Although "buy early" is often good travel advice, it's not always a
good
> idea for air tickets -- especially when you buy very early.

<snip>
Last year I knew I wanted to go round trip Columbus-New York in November.
The prices I report will not be accurate, but are roughly what I found.

In June the lowest was over $400.  By August the fare got below $300, and in
September or early October I bought at $150.   I don't know what happened
after that, but I am sure that less than a week before my departure I would
have been above $400 again.

The cruise line business is also peculiar.   I am going round trip
Newark-Durban to go on a ship.  I will fly through Atlanta both ways.  I am
told that the fare Atlanta-Durban would be $500 more than I am paying
Newark-Durban.

Gerry
http://home.columbus.rr.com/gfoley
http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/pollock/263/egypt/egypt.html