United: Aims to get $2B in financing ready just in case

United: Aims to get $2B in financing ready just in case
By Chris Woodyard, USA TODAY

United Airlines is trying to line up $2 billion in financing to be ready in
case it decides to file for bankruptcy-court protection, company officials
said Thursday. The debtor-in-possession financing package is the latest in
a series of moves that United is making to prepare for a Chapter 11
bankruptcy reorganization even as it hopes for federal loan guarantees that
would avoid it. "It's important for our customers to know we are looking at
all contingencies," says United spokesman Chris Brathwaite. "But first and
foremost, we are trying to restructure outside of Chapter 11." CEO Glenn
Tilton had already set a deadline of Dec. 2, when United has a $400 million
loan payment due, to restructure the giant airline and obtain the loan
guarantees. It was dealt a setback last week when the loan board made
public a letter in which it outlined gaps in United's business plan.

Brathwaite expressed confidence that the carrier's annual $1.1 billion
reduction in labor costs and an expected $1.4 billion boost in revenue
under its plan will lead to board approval of the guarantees. Observers say
United is acting correctly by lining up post-bankruptcy financing. "I think
it would be highly imprudent if they didn't do this," says airline
consultant Morris Garfinkle. "This is just good business sense on their
part to have a backup plan at worst and a front-line plan at best." Jon
Schneider, a bankruptcy lawyer with the firm of Goodwin Procter in Boston,
agrees. "No one would be thinking about bankruptcy without lining up
(post-bankruptcy) financing," he says. United would continue flying, making
it a good candidate for receiving the post-bankruptcy funds, he says.
"There are certainly a bunch of valuable assets here."
Sara Dela Cruz, a spokeswoman for United's flight attendants, says the
union doesn't blame the airline for making bankruptcy preparations but that
the focus should remain on obtaining the loan guarantees.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(chgdev) http://www.chagdev.com/
(Chaguaramas Development Authority)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt