Re: Beech Question...

From: "Mike Gammon" <jmgammon@sympatico.ca>

Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 3:11 PM

> Kees was talking about mfg's SERIAL number, not registration letters.
>
> And Chile is CC, not CA.  Canada is C-FXXX or C-GXXX for most aircraft,
C-IXXX for ultralights.  It used to be CF-XXX 'till they ran out of numbers.

> Mike Gammon

The blocks I was quoting are for radio station call signs.  It appears that
a country can choose anything from the radio call sign block to use for the
initial characters of the tail number.   They seem all to choose just one or
two characters for tail numbers.  Just why the U.S. chose N (which is mostly
navy on radio) instead of W or K, I don't know.

One curiosity is that in Soviet days, the amateur radio call signs for the
Ukraine began UB.  For some reason it has wound up that the Ukrainian
amateur calls are now UK.  I haven't checked on what the Ukraine uses for
tail numbers.

Lots of trivia here, to which I contribute from time to time.

Gerry K8EF

http://home.columbus.rr.com/gfoley
http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/pollock/263/egypt/egypt.html