Re: SF Gate: Airlines reduce payments to bumped fliers

...Once again, the Airlines are doing more things to
alienate passengers. If we have some bad weather
during the Christmas Holidays, which will create more
overssles, then more Invol bumping, you are gonna see
some big-time riot scenes at some airports.

I am a big fan of getting volutarily bumped, though it
has not happened recently....also I have been on both
sides of the counter, the Bumper (as a gate agent),
and the Bumpee!

Bryant Petitt
Cumming, GA

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/news/archive/2002/11/12/f=
> [...]
> airlines are less
> forthcoming about what passengers can expect to
> receive: Delta Air Lines
> offers travel vouchers tied to the length of delay
> experienced by
> passengers who volunteer, but a spokeswoman wouldn't
> comment on the
> amount.
>    United gives free tickets instead of travel
> vouchers to domestic
> passengers who volunteer to give up seats.
> Passengers on international
> flights, as well as flights to Alaska and Hawaii,
> are still offered
> vouchers, though they have gotten less generous.
> (United, for instance,
> currently gives $200 vouchers for delays of less
> than three hours;
> previously, the voucher kicked in after a delay of
> only two hours.)
>    "Customers view the free ticket as more
> valuable," a United spokeswoman
> says. The free ticket carries a 14-day
> advance-purchase restriction and is
> limited to travel in the lower 48 states.
>    In light of that, some travelers prefer the
> voucher -- and have managed =
> persuade gate agents to hand them out anyway. Brian
> Moore, a Chicago
> auditor, will fly to London this month using a
> United travel voucher he
> got after being bumped from a flight between Chicago
> and San Francisco
> this summer. The airline tried to offer him a free
> domestic ticket, but
> Mr. Moore insisted on the voucher. "I can get miles
> and upgrade, which you
> can't do with a free ticket," he says.
>    Restrictions on free tickets vary from airline to
> airline. Some come with
> blackout travel dates. But one big issue is that you
> often can't upgrade
> from them or get frequent-flier points for them --
> both of which you can
> do with a ticket bought using a voucher. The move
> away from vouchers may
> be particularly frustrating for business travelers,
> who tend to prefer
> compensation that allows for upgrades and can earn
> them miles.
>    The day before Thanksgiving is traditionally the
> busiest travel day of t=
> he
> year, so the odds of getting bumped rise
> drastically. Travelers who don't
> mind arriving a course or two into the meal can
> improve their chances of a
> bump by checking in for the flight as early as
> possible. Once at the gate,
> ask the agent if the flight is oversold, and
> volunteer on the spot to give
> up your ticket. Airlines bump on a first-come,
> first-served basis, so
> those who get their names in first are guaranteed to
> be left behind if the
> airline determines volunteers are needed.
>
> Ron Lieber contributed to this article.
>
> Smaller Bribes
>
>    Here's what you can expect if you volunteer to

=== message truncated ===