Virgin won't change obese passenger policy after settlement

Virgin won't change obese passenger policy after settlement

LONDON (Reuters) =97 Virgin Atlantic Airways said on Tuesday it would not=20
change its policy for overweight passengers, despite paying $20,100 to a=20
woman squashed by an obese woman on a transatlantic flight. Virgin said=20
nearly all portly passengers already booked more spacious seats in the=20
front of the cabin or two economy seats but in rare cases when an obese=20
passenger had not booked extra room, it would charge them for an extra seat=
=20
or an upgrade. "Our seats are designed to cater well into the high 90% of=20
the population," a Virgin spokeswoman said. "Those passengers in the still=
=20
very rare cases who need more space generally flag that up when they book=20
with the airline." But Virgin recently paid compensation to Barbara Hewson=
=20
in an out-of-court settlement after she sustained injuries during a flight=
=20
from London to Los Angeles in January 2001, when an oversized woman sitting=
=20
next to her spilled over into her seat. There were no spare seats on the=20
plane. "She was on a flight sitting next to an oversized lady who basically=
=20
caused her some injury during the flight," a Virgin spokeswoman said. "The=
=20
lady sitting next to Hewson was too big for her seat and overspilled on top=
=20
of Hewson."

The airline, in which Richard Branson's Virgin Group owns 51% and Singapore=
=20
Airlines owns 49%, said the reason for the long wait for compensation was=20
that Hewson had to provide medical evidence of the injuries. Virgin said=20
there would be no policy changes resulting from the "unprecedented case"=20
but it would continue to advise large passengers to upgrade to bigger seats=
=20
or purchase two seats. "We haven't had a case like this and we don't=20
receive very many complaints of this order, so it's something that doesn't=
=20
need to result in a policy change," the spokeswoman said. U.S. no-frills=20
carrier Southwest Airlines earlier this year angered the National=20
Association to Advance Fat Acceptance, with its decision to require=20
passengers too large to fit into one seat to purchase tickets for two=20
seats. "This is the de facto policy of nearly all airlines," said an=20
executive from a European airline, who asked not to be named. The Virgin=20
spokesman said: "At the end of the day if a passenger needs two seats then=
=20
they need two seats and we haven't got any choice but to charge them for=20
that and we think our other passengers would rather we did."

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(I95.5FM) http://www.i955fm.com
(Radio Station I95.5FM)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt