Plan to arm pilots is taking off

By Alan Levin, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON =97 Since the Senate voted overwhelmingly last month to arm up to=
=20
85,000 airline pilots, carriers and safety advocates have raised numerous=20
concerns about cost, security and safety. But so far, no one appears to be=
=20
listening.
Despite renewed criticism from airline executives and private worries from=
=20
some government officials, the measure seems certain to become law. The=20
politics of guns has overwhelmed the slower-moving aviation world,=20
according to officials, lobbyists and Capitol Hill insiders. Vigorous=20
lobbying by pilots and gun rights groups, who say concerns about the=20
proposal have been overblown, eroded most objections from Congress.=20
Proposals to make airline pilots eligible to carry guns passed the House of=
=20
Representatives in July and the Senate in September. Groups such as the=20
National Rifle Association urged lawmakers to vote for the measure, and few=
=20
wanted to oppose it in an election year. Even some liberal lawmakers who=20
generally favor gun control embraced the idea. But the House and Senate=20
versions, which must be merged before being sent to the president, do not=20
specify how pilots would be trained, how weapons would be transported=20
between flights or how the measure would be paid for.

Only a small fraction of the 5,000 to 10,000 airline pilots who fly each=20
day are expected to volunteer to carry a gun. The Bush administration=20
initially opposed arming pilots, but that position weakened under intense=20
lobbying. Transportation Security Administration acting head James Loy says=
=20
he will follow Congress' wishes, though he would prefer to begin with a=20
small test program instead of allowing all pilots to participate. Airlines,=
=20
which were slow to mobilize against the measure, are starting to speak out.=
=20
Officials say the House and Senate proposals do not consider potential=20
problems, from how pilots can safely carry weapons in secure airport=20
terminals to what might happen if a stray shot damages aircraft=20
electronics. "There's so many unknowns," says Dave Barger, president of=20
JetBlue airline. "I don't think the legislation has really been thought=20
out." Aviation safety advocates say giving pilots the added responsibility=
=20
for security could threaten safety by disrupting them from their normal=20
routines. "We've trained these pilots so carefully, and we've engrained in=
=20
them that predictable routine makes it safe," says Susan Coughlin, a former=
=20
member of the National Transportation Safety Board who is president of the=
=20
Aviation Safety Alliance. "Let's let them do that and let law enforcement=20
do the rest."

Coughlin and other former NTSB members plan to issue a letter criticizing=20
the proposal. Loy convened a task force, which included officials from the=
=20
FBI, Secret Service and the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms, to=20
study the proposal this past summer. It recommended against giving guns to=
=20
pilots. "We have some very serious concerns" about the legislation, Loy=20
said last week. "I want to make sure there is a walk-before-we-run=20
mentality." Loy told senators this month that if pilots are armed, they=20
should receive individual lockboxes in which to store the weapons while not=
=20
in the cockpit. The lockboxes would minimize the chances of accidental=20
discharge and theft. In a letter to senators, he identified other issues:=20
Will cockpits need to be modified to create storage areas for weapons? How=
=20
will the government respond if foreign nations want to arm their pilots?=20
How will the program be funded? That last question could prove tricky for=20
the TSA, which has said it cannot meet congressionally mandated security=20
deadlines without additional funding. Estimates of the costs vary. Loy=20
projected up to $900 million in initial costs followed by $250 million per=
=20
year. The Air Line Pilots Association, the nation's largest pilots union=20
and a proponent of arming flight crews, estimated it would cost no more=20
than $100 million initially, and probably far less. Steve Luckey, a retired=
=20
747 captain who heads the union's security committee, concedes that many=20
issues need to be resolved before pilots can be armed. But he says they can=
=20
be easily overcome. "I strongly believe that if we have this ability, the=20
odds of a recurrence of something like Sept. 11 is greatly diminished," he=
=20
says.

Luckey says he has developed the outlines for a training program and=20
anticipates rigorous standards for pilots seeking guns. "I don't think you=
=20
can have any kind of cavalier attitude about handing out lethal force to=20
people," he says. "That's why I'm on the quality bandwagon, not quantity."=
=20
The gun legislation is part of a larger bill that would create a department=
=20
of homeland security. That bill is deadlocked in the Senate. The airlines=20
hope Congress will adopt a test program before opening the program to every=
=20
pilot. "It's dangerous and potentially deadly public policy to enact this=20
proposal in an information vacuum," says Michael Wascom, spokesman for the=
=20
airline trade group Air Transport Association. But there appear to be few=20
allies for such a move on Capitol Hill. Proponents say it's time the=20
airlines gave up. "This train has left the station," NRA Chief Executive=20
Officer Wayne LaPierre says. "They need to get on board, as opposed to=20
trying to figure out how to sabotage an issue that has already been=
 decided."

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(ReadyMix) http://www.readymix.co.tt/
(ReadyMix Cement Ltd)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt