Feds poised to begin ID program for travelers and transportation workers

Feds poised to begin ID program for travelers and transportation workers

WASHINGTON (AP) =97 Airports in Los Angeles and Philadelphia are proposed=20
test sites for transportation ID cards that could be issued to travelers,=20
allowing them to pass easily through security checks. Transportation=20
Security Administration chief James Loy said Tuesday that the cards also=20
would be tested at the ports of Long Beach, Calif., and Wilmington, Del.=20
Loy said transportation workers would first get the IDs at the ports and at=
=20
Los Angeles International and Philadelphia International airports. If the=20
cards prove successful, they could be extended to passengers. "We want to=20
establish those prototypes almost immediately," Loy said, adding that the=20
proposed testing is awaiting congressional approval. Loy said the ID card=20
technology would form the basis for what he calls a "registered traveler=20
program." He recently told the Senate Commerce and Transportation Committee=
=20
that people who register for the program would have to submit to detailed=20
background checks.
"We will know more about them from a security standpoint than anonymous=20
passengers who present themselves to our screeners at the airport," he=20
said. The program would ease congestion at security checkpoints and reduce=
=20
security hassles for registered travelers, he said. "This is great news for=
=20
passengers," said David Stempler, president of the Air Travelers=20
Association, a passenger advocacy group. "Anything that will speed=20
passengers through airport processing is something that's going to get=20
airline passengers back on the planes again."

But Paul Hudson, executive director of the advocacy group Aviation Consumer=
=20
Action Project, said Mohammed Atta, the ringleader of the Sept. 11=20
hijackers, could have become a registered traveler. So could Timothy=20
McVeigh, the Oklahoma City bomber, and Theodore Kaczynski, the Unabomber.=20
Hudson said he supports identification cards for transportation workers,=20
who number in the hundreds of thousands, but not travelers, who number in=20
the billions. "There's really no way to prevent smart terrorists from=20
getting these smart cards if it's opened up to the public," Hudson said.=20
"Identity theft and false IDs are a way of life for almost all smart=20
terrorists and criminals." Robert Johnson, TSA spokesman, said the ID cards=
=20
would be used in conjunction with an improved passenger screening system=20
that would flag suspicious people before they get on a plane. The current=20
system, called CAPPS for Computer Assisted Passenger Prescreening System,=20
collects information about passengers' travel history from the airlines.=20
"We don't intend to willingly issue those kinds of cards to those kinds of=
=20
people, ever," Johnson said. The program can't get under way until Congress=
=20
gives the TSA the go-ahead, Johnson said. The Senate Appropriations=20
Committee has held up the program because of concerns that the TSA might=20
choose a technology for the card that's inefficient or too expensive, he=20
said. "We can begin almost immediately on a project like that once we=20
answer the concerns of Congress," Johnson said. Congress could approve the=
=20
program by the end of the year.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(ReadyMix) http://www.readymix.co.tt/
(ReadyMix Cement Ltd)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt